Chipped beak... Will it grow back

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicola, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    i think one of my chicks has chipped off the end of its beak because is flat at the front and has a gap will the tip grow back ???and become pointed again?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I don't know but I think the chick will be fine and learn to eat with it's new adjusted beak though.

3. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    I know that some people clip their chickens' or chicks' beaks, I believe only the top part though, so it will probably be fine. I'm not sure if it will grow back though...

4. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    does anyone know if the beak will grow back

5. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Don't know but I'll give this a bump.

6. Nicola

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Anyone [​IMG]

7. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Oh I want to know too as I have a little serama that also has had a peice of beak broke off.
    So here is a bump up to try to see if anyone knows about these things.

8. Crusaderwithgat

Crusaderwithgat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    deep south
    Found this with google:D

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/page_212.htm

Can I have the beaks trimmed on the baby chicks?

We no longer offer beak trimming service for the simple fact that the beak will grow back if the procedure is performed on birds under 6 weeks old. If you decide to have the beaks trimmed we recommend having it done before the birds start to lay as the stress may stop them from laying for a period of time.

9. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    If the beak is just chipped, it will definitely grow back. In fact, in very young birds, the beak can recover from being severely cut even beyond the quick. From what I understand, the younger the bird, the better able it will be to recover. But my full-grown chickens chip their beaks from time to time, and they grow back without a problem.

Hope this helps:D

10. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    I see someone else answered at the same time. That link reminds me: I strongly recommend people not debeak their chickens. In large industrial chicken plants, the chickens are kept in unbelievably crowded conditions. They respond to this stress by pecking at each other, and so the companies severely cut their beaks to keep them from pecking each other to death. Remember that the chicken's beak is like their hand in the sense that they use it to explore the world. Once you get beyond the outer part, to the part that bleeds, you're really talking about maiming the animal.

End soapbox;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by