Chipping away at rights...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by yotetrapper, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    My husband and I both used to go out once a week to the tavern. This was our only "socializing" we did, due to work restraints and cost. We would go and eat dinner, than drink a few beers and play pool. I loved it, and looked forward to it all week. But now, due to interfering "special interest" groups, and the politicians who are ever so eager to take away our rights a little at a time, we dont do that anymore. Now we buy a box of beer and drink at home occasionally, but we dont have room here for a pool table, and it's just not as fun.

So why don't we go anymore? Because my husband and I both smoke cigarettes. I didnt have a problem before with restaurants that didnt allow smoking, I just went to ones that did allow it. I didnt lobby lawmakers and circulate petitions demanding those restaurants allow smoking, because I KNEW that that was the business owners CHOICE. This is supposed to be America after all.

You would think with everyone crying about laws to regulate second hand smoke that a non-smoking bar would be a big hit. But they opened one in burlington IA here and it closed within 2 months due to lack of business. I know a bar owner here that has lost over 50% of her clientele since the smoking ban went into effect in January.

Since when do so many people not only condone, but also push for gov't to control what businesses can and can't do in a free society? You didnt have to go to a smoking restaurant, just as I didnt have to go to a non-smoking one. why wasn't that good enough??

Fast food is not good for you. Should we legislate and regulate that Burger King is only allowed to sell salads?

Doesn't anyone care about our rights being chipped away at a little at a time? Does anyone even notice???

Angela

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Welcome to California!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to be a smoker and I know that it's almost impossible to hold a drink in one hand without holding a cigarette in the other. The two just seemed to go together. I don't think it should be illegal for SOME bars to be smoking bars providing they advertise as such. The problem comes when you live in some out of the way area like I do and there's only one bar and one restaurant that can employ people and they're both smoking establishments. This means that the people who work there are subjected to second hand smoke on a daily basis and no, they don't have a choice whether to work there or not if it's the only employer in town. I do not think restaurants should allow smoking.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The fact that restaurants, bars, bowling alleys, shopping malls, airplanes, work places, etc. are all non-smoking in my state now means that I'm more likely to patronize them, since I won't come home smelling of cigarette smoke.

Each of us sees this issue from a very different perspective.

5. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Sorry can't side with you on this one.. as a non-smoker.. these laws have made my evenings out 100 x better... I understand your pain to an extent ... but your smoke effects other's health. I love being able to go out and not have to come home and take a shower before I can sleep because my hair reeks of nasty smoke. I think the benefits for majority of the population far outweight the minority who want to smoke inside. I've also seen a lot of money go into building special little shelters and areas for smokers outside. [​IMG]
    sorry no sympathy here. One of the worst things for me in traveling outside of CA is dealing with this in states that allow it still.. thank god its getting fewer and farther between. If it wasnt a health issue.. I'd be on your side but cigarette smoke makes me sick to my stomach:sick

6. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    I agree with the OP, I quit smoking, and I still believe it should be up to the individual business owners whether to allow smoking or not. In MT it will soon be illegal to smoke in bars, it is to bad we are allowing the government to dictate how we can run our businesses. As an American I have a choice which businesses I work for and which bussinesses I patronize.
    It is ashame that some folks who dispise the government interferring in their lives will turn around and condone the interferrence if it happens to be something that is of importance to them

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I dont smoke, but I also think that smokers have rights as well.
    And a non smoking bar is just sort of wrong to me.

I remember when you could smoke in movie theaters.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:I agree with HHA, this issue is about more than cig smoke.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Its gonna come down to everything law makers and politicians think is "bad" for us is gonna get taken away. Yep, that probaly mean soft drinks, little debbie cakes, and etc.... [​IMG]

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    To be honest, I think most ALL restaurants, etc. should ban smoking. Non-smokers, like me, HATE it when you walk in and smell that awful smell when someone's smoking! And when you breath it in, it's just as bad as if you are smoking, because it's going into your lungs. This is called second-hand smoking. It's NOT good, just as really smoking is NOT good.

For me, I absolutely HATE it when I can't even walk into Wal-Mart without seeing someone smoking a cigarette outside the entrance. I have to hold my breath when we walk in! Talk about having no rights. It's just nasty. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Not to mention a lot of people just toss their cigarettes on the ground; it's bad for the Earth. [​IMG]
    Yes, some places such as bars should have no smoking bans, so people won't always hang around public areas for other people to breath in that nasty stuff...I mean, who does want to breath in stuff like rat poisoning...which, as a fact, IS found in cigarettes. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Yuck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by