Chipping beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emilyschartz21, Aug 30, 2014.

1. emilyschartz21

emilyschartz21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2014
    I have a Rhode Island Red hen who is about 5 months old. The past week her beak has been chipping off. I got her some oyster shells to give her more calcium and tried filing her beak down so it doesn't hook on anything. What else can I do to help her and make it stop chipping? Here's a picture of it[​IMG]

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm not sure there's much you can do to stop her from chipping her beak. Parakeets occasionally do it but they eventually do it by filing it down. You might need to find the source of what she is chipping it on and get rid of it. She might have such a weak beak that it's chipping of easily. As long as she can eat and drink it's not to big of an alarm.

3. chickenz500

chickenz500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    I had a hen that did that too. Once it gets a little longer, cut the chipped part off with toe nail clippers. After a few clippings, it should stop.

4. emilyschartz21

emilyschartz21 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2014
    Ok I will try doing that. I will find what se so chipping it on. What if it is starting to chip down the side? It hasn't started bleeding yet. Could I out super glue on it with like a q-tip and hold it together? Will it grow back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by