Chipymunks

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Bantamz, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Bantamz

Bantamz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    my house
    I live in a high desert and I've never saw a chipmunk at my house but recently one has been in the rocks behind my chicken coop it probly came from the river a half mile from the house I really want it to stay but I don't know because the only natural growing things here is grain but they probly eat more then that any tips on what I can do?

2. IceAngel

IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Well if you provide it with some good food and protective habitat, it might stick around. They like large rocks, fallen logs, bushes, and dense undergrowth and they eat almost everything from nuts, berries, seeds, and grains, as well as insects and eggs of birds. Try some chopped up cooked eggs.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I know they are cute, but you may live to regret the day that you gave an invite. Striped rats, and equally, if not more destructive!

4. IceAngel

IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    You are so right @lazy gardener I always thought I wanted to be surrounded by squirrels....until they started chewing into the attic, eating all the seeds in the birdfeeders and chewing wires.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is what we do for chipmunks, etc. The calico was heavily pregnant and chased a chippy around the house three times before she caught it. Ate the innards, took a rest then gave birth to 6 healthy kittens an hour later [​IMG]

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I like your solution. I have a similar model which doubles as a foot warmer at night. Also a nice gentle white noise machine.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by