Chirp Chirp...Sick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnimalGuyAdam, Mar 8, 2015.

1. AnimalGuyAdam

AnimalGuyAdam New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    Recently I purchased five baby chicks[​IMG]. One on the chicks which I believe is a rhode island red chirps alot with his/her eyes closed. Thankfully the adorable thing eats & drinks and does not get picked on by his other buddies. He/she likes to cuddle with them and they don't really care, but when the chick is sleeping or I guess when his eyes ar closed he chirps not a small chirp but a very high pitched chirp.Im just a bit worried he/she will die[​IMG]. He/she is by far the youngest of the pack and has not developed all his/her feather on his wings. ^ [ Main question of this thread! ] • Mini Questions: 1. Is there a specific flooring material I should put for them, so far I've been using thick nets paper and cardboard but they dirty the place in minutes and walk over it. 2. I do not have a heat lamp unfortunately but do have a light bulb hanging for the cage (not reachable) and also like a torch light sitting horizontally over the cage. 3. May you identify the breeds of three of the five cutiepies? I know the yellow one is a Cornish and the red one is a Rhode Island! Thank You -AnimalGuyAdam

2. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Okay firstly, he/she is probably chirping because you need a heat lamp. Regular lamps are nowhere near warm enough most of the time. So your chicks huddle together a lot of the time? They are probably cold. Also, sometimes they will chirp if they are excited, or lonely sometimes so it's generally nothing to be too concerned about as long as they are eating and drinking, but I would get a heat lamp.

Secondly, paper is a no no for bedding because, as I'm sure you are experiencing, it gets messy way too quickly and it is too slippery under little chick feet. They will be MUCH happier and cleaner with horse-stall type wood pellets or chopped straw OR pine (no cedar) shavings.

Pics of the chicks is the only way to help identify :) Cheers.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3

5. AnimalGuyAdam

AnimalGuyAdam New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    [​IMG] Guess the pics did not get posted, here yah go !

6. AnimalGuyAdam

AnimalGuyAdam New Egg

Mar 8, 2015
    Also i'm gathering some supplies to make a chicken coop ! Don't worry the cage is somewhat temporary :)

7. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Chicks will need to spend about 4 to 6 weeks in your temporary space...I would get a hold of a cardboard or wooden box w/out holes or you are going to be cleaning up a lot of litter mess around that cage [​IMG].
    Looks like Rhode Island on the far left, the greyish-gold one is your Cornish X? The next over looks like either an Americauna, or possibly a Welsummer....chicks look very similar in breed when they are so little sometimes. If that one develops cheek fluffs and/or a beard along with blue tinged legs, it's an Americauna. The last looks like a Barred Rock, maybe even a Silver Laced Wyandotte...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by