Chirping and lights

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Slaphappy, May 21, 2019.

1. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Chirping

Dec 30, 2018
    Chicago Illinois
    I have set the lighting in my basement utility room to sunrise and sunset. First night with the fluffs. The lights just turned off and they are chirping like nuts. Will this subside? Get used to it type thing? Been quite and happy all day.

2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    Do they have heat when the light is off?

3. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Chirping

Dec 30, 2018
    Chicago Illinois
    Yes premier one heating plate. It's quited down after 30 mins in the dark

4. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    I'm not experienced by no means. However, I am raising 4 young chicks in my dining room.They would do the same thing every night. I would guide them under the heat plate a couple times and then they would quiet down. I only had too do this for 3-4 nights and then they did it on their own.
    They acted like they were scared and that my guidance to the heat settled them.
    Just my little experience.

Willowspirit and Slaphappy like this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Very normal....and yes they adjust. It helps if you use a dimmer or otherwise gradually lessen the light (ie a progressive covering of the brooder) so they get the "time for bed" signal, or listen and catch the moment they have all settled and turn off the lights then vs while they are out and active (tricky part is not making noise or movement that draws them back out in trying to get to the light switch, lol)

6. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Chirping

Dec 30, 2018
    Chicago Illinois
    Screenshot_20190521-213100.png

All settled. Successful first day I think.

Willowspirit and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There is no sweeter sound than the happy purring trills of a brood of chicks settling in under a heat pad/plate/broody hen....this will replace the frantic chirps in the days to come.

tpatricco and Willowspirit like this.
  8. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    Yes! Mine do the same. We've taken to stepping down the light levels for them as bedtime approaches. But when we shut that last light they all peep like crazy as they move back over to their heat plate to settle down for the night. Once they're settled then it's pretty quiet, just some soft chirping among them as they fall asleep. Super cute.

9. ZooAtHome

ZooAtHome Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    NW Oregon
    My chicks range from 6-8 weeks old and they still have a few moments of dismayed chirping when the light first goes out. After a minute or two, they settle into a cozy pile and then just the occasional soft, contented chirp as they all fall asleep.

tpatricco likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: