Chirping egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theeggone, May 18, 2009.

1. theeggone

theeggone New Egg

May 18, 2009
    I have an egg that has been chirping for about 12 hours and no crack. The hen abandon the eggs 3 days ago, and they got cold for a few hours, but I have had them under a light at around 98 since. I don't have an incubator, and have not been able to control the humidity in the room (which is around 55%). Should I assume that the little one is tired and break him free??

2. alltheprettychickens

alltheprettychickens New Egg

May 18, 2009
    I just had one that chirped ALL nite and just hatched this am! I would give it time. Though i would read the sticky about helping eggs hatch. Maybe you could do something like put them in a semi closed container with a warm sponge or washcloth to up the humidity while still keeping them under the light?

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    are you doing anything about the humidity?
    momma would be keeping them humid right now too, not just warm
    I would worry about the membrane drying out
    there is a GREAT thread about helping chicks out, when to, when not too, do a search on this forum to find it, very expert advice there, much better than I can give you

if your air humidity is high the chick may be ok
    good luck!!

4. theeggone

theeggone New Egg

May 18, 2009
    Thanks for the great info. The first chick is out, but the others are not going so well. I have never had to take over for a hen before, and do not have much equipment to keep things going. I have not been able to control humidity well in my cardboard box below a light, but it has been raining for about 2 months in the north east and the humidity has been pretty high anyway. I did try softening the membrane with a damp towel, but inadvertently got them a bit cold (89). Hopefully all will go well. I still hear the peeps:). I did have to intervene with the 2nd, and am not sure how he will fair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by