Chirping for 48 hours

lasersmomma1411

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2020
I have 16 eggs in a still air incubator. Today is day 22 for some and 23 for others. I have only seen movement in two. I am hearing chirping which started 48 hours ago. Active movement in both, especially when I talk or chirp at them. No signs of external pipping. Should I wait? I’m trying not to intervene, but I don’t want them to die as I fear they may be the only ones alive right now!

I have 16 eggs in a still air incubator. Today is day 22 for some and 23 for others. I have only seen movement in two. I am hearing chirping which started 48 hours ago. Active movement in both, especially when I talk or chirp at them. No signs of external pipping. Should I wait? I’m trying not to intervene, but I don’t want them to die as I fear they may be the only ones alive right now!
They seem to be really moving, but I’m afraid they are unable to break through! First timer here.

Hi! You can make a very small hole in the large end of the egg that has been chirping for 48 hours to be safe. It should have externally pipped by now and will run out of air soon, depending on the size of the air cell. I have only hatched twice but have done a lot of research about hatching eggs, still I am far from an expert. Good luck.

Hi! You can make a very small hole in the large end of the egg that has been chirping for 48 hours to be safe. It should have externally pipped by now and will run out of air soon, depending on the size of the air cell. I have only hatched twice but have done a lot of research about hatching eggs, still I am far from an expert. Good luck.
I just put a small hole in it. This one is still moving and shaking and chirping. The other has stopped moving so far. I’m hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

I don't assist but it sounds like yours need assistance.
When they stay in too long, they end up with feet issues and usually don't make it.
IMO, if they don't pop right out on day 21, something was awry.
In this case, I would guess the temperature was low throughout and likely low by one or two full degrees.
Also, eggs from breeders without enhanced nutrition for several weeks before egg collection often don't have the energy to escape.

These were our own eggs. Our rooster and 4 of our other hens got killed by a raccoon a couple weeks about a month ago so a friend let us borrow his incubator to see if we could get offspring from the rooster. We thought it was worth a shot. Just made that hole a bit bigger and it looks like the bird is upside down!! Not sure what to do! I can hear it pecking the other side and chirping loudly.

These were our own eggs. Our rooster and 4 of our other hens got killed by a raccoon a couple weeks about a month ago so a friend let us borrow his incubator to see if we could get offspring from the rooster. We thought it was worth a shot. Just made that hole a bit bigger and it looks like the bird is upside down!! Not sure what to do! I can hear it pecking the other side and chirping loudly.
Uh oh. That's not good. @MysteryChicken is good at hatching things and may be able to help, as are @Kiki and @Nabiki .When was the last time you candled these?

Yesterday, but since I’m a newbie, all I can really tell is the whole egg was filled up and no air pocket! Both were the same, but still have had movement.

I haven’t made the hole bigger yet in the other one but I’m afraid it may be the same thing. And I know they say all shells are hard, but these are excessively hard in my opinion lol. I can hear them pecking, but nothing.

Back
Top Bottom