Chirping in shell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HamorHollow, May 27, 2010.

1. HamorHollow

HamorHollow Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm a total newbie here, so you can just laugh at me while I completely freak out.

Here's the deal: Caramel (some sort of bantom) had been with a rooster before we got her at a swap. At some point, my nephews realized that she would have fertile eggs and asked if we could try to hatch them. So we have 4 eggs in a home made incubator at their house. I just got a call that an egg is chirping (10 pm hysteric call, really pretty funny). I believe we are on day 24 (for the 1st egg).

So the question is: Do we need to do anything or do we just let the egg be? We've been candling and they were growing, and now one is chirping. How long before it breaks through the shell? Do we help it? I know to leave it in the incubator for 24 hrs, but I didn't see anything about a chirping egg.

We are pretty excited, we never expected to get this far. Help!

Kelly

2. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    perfectly normal. It might be a few hours beforeit pips, and 24 before it zips and comes out

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Congrats on your future chickies! [​IMG]

4. HamorHollow

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Pips (pipping?) is when the beak cracks the shell, right?

Our 'incubator is a complete home-made hack. It's a cardboard box, a cd cover (window), a light bulb, and some cups of water for humidity. It's really funny.

How humid should it be? We can only do so much in our situation, so we are wondering if we should set up a humidifier near the box. Can they be too humid?

Thank you so much for your help! We are really excited and nervous!

Kelly

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    between 65%-70%.
    Yes if they get too humid it will drown them

6. HamorHollow

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    oh dear, that's gonna be tough with our little hack box. Hopefully this works.....

Thanks for the help.

Kelly

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Well, you got this far with your hack-box, I am sure you will do just fine the rest of the way. Is there a name or logo on the box? If so, I think you should name the chick after the box. LOL - it will remind you of good times. Congrats!!!! It really IS thrilling and exciting, eh?!!!

8. HamorHollow

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    LOL @ Sequin, That is a great idea!

Keep your feathers crossed for me!

Kelly

Edit: I will have to check and see if there is one, I imagine there is. The box is at my friend's house so the kids can learn about the eggs. I'll find out tomorrow (or possibly in the middle of the night is pipping occurs).

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. HamorHollow

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    We have pippage! I am very excited

Kelly

10. HamorHollow

May 7, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The chick made a little hole in the egg about 6.5 hours ago. There are no cracks and no other progression. It is in there moving and peeping, and I can see the beek from the hole.

Should there be more progression at this point? I believe I read that it can take 24 hours from pip to out of egg. When is the appropriate time to interviene?

Kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by