Chirping in the egg...UPDATE! Turken didn't make it

mommywoes

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
Bakersfield
Quick question ... How long will it be until the eggs start to hatch if I can hear the chicks chirping inside?

OKay quick update... the egg is completely open all the way around (see pics on my last post) but the chick hasn't hatched do I need to help?

** removed top, chick passed

Last edited:
If they are chirping, then they have internally pipped. Sounds like you are well on your way.

Before a chick hatches, it has to absorb the yolk, dry up some blood vessels, and complete other changes to get ready for hatching. It is not just resting between internal pip, external pip, and zip. It is actually working pretty hard. Some chicks do most of this between internal pip and external pip, then zip pretty quickly after they externally pip. Some wait until after external pip to do most of this. These are the ones that drive us crazy, worrying that they are stuck. Some even zip before they completely do all this.

What I'm getting at is that there is no set timetable. It could happen pretty quickly. I expect you will see some external pips fairly soon. But it could also still be more than a day. It is hard but it is a good time to be patient.

Sounds like zipping as normal. Also sounds as if you are already fretting.
smile.png
Take a deep breath and, if you want to watch it hatch, keep an eye on it. Most of mine zip the top then simply push the sections of egg away from themselves. Voila, wet squirming chick! Doesn't take long either for them to get to their feet and start drying. Good luck on your hatch!

Ack I am fretting its cracked the egg all the way around but no chick yet ...ack!
barnie.gif

Haha you made me really laugh with delight at your comment here.
lol.png
I am new to chicks hatching too, got my first ones in days and I can just see myself in your comments
wink.png
thanks so much for your wonderful personality and for asking all the questions I would be asking
smile.png

Hope everything is going well! Mine are set to hatch this weekend...when the hurricane comes through! Cause I needed one more thing to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom