1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chirping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pugiosam, Jan 17, 2014.

1. pugiosam

pugiosam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    My little chick keeps on chirping with her eyes closed. Its very loud and she won't stop. Non of the others are doing this. Is there something wrong?

2. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is it? If it has just hatched, it is probably tired. It also might be too cold, or is being bullied by the other chicks. Does it eat/drink? how does it interact with the other chicks?

3. pugiosam

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    It hatched last week. Non of the others are bullying and its not eating or drinking. I've been feeding it with an eye dropper. It kina lays there but she drinks the water I give her. The others are fine. I had to help her hatch however.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Unfortunately some chicks just don't thrive. could be due to some genetic defect. The best you can do is keep it warm and comfortable. you are doing all you can do, however, if you want to go the extra mile, try giving it some nutri-drench or polyvisol without iron,electrolytes, probiotics, Kay-tee baby bird hand feeding formula.

5. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 I had a chick that acted like this, except it would eat, but fall a sleep a lot! it ended up dying. If you had to help it hatch, it will probably die... sorry.

6. pugiosam

Dec 3, 2013
    painter Virginia
    Unfortunately he died last night. I tried.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    As said before, some chicks just don't make it. I call this failure to thrive. It sure does stink. You did the best you could :hugs

8. BLT79

BLT79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Western MA
    I have an incessant 2 week old chick. Every night the chirping goes on and on, and it's loud! Please help!

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You might try getting some electrolytes, and some vitamins into it. some folks use Polyvisol without iron, a good product for chickens is Nutri-drench. Are there other chicks? Are they quiet? Is this chick alone? If this chick is one of a group, and the only one acting like this, I'm guessing that there is something wrong with it. How old is it, and what is the brooder temp?

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You may want to try making chick feed mush, real mushy, and dip it's beak in it a few times. I have 2 weaklings right now, I got them yesterday. They both sleep all the time and if they get rolled over, they stay like that. But I've been feeding them mush every few hours, and they are eating like pigs. One has been running around. My fingers are crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by