1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chirps during candeling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sasquatch, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I was candeling and scrubbing the bator as I had an egg break. Not explode, mind you, but it had a crack that i had missed and had stuck to the turner. When I tried to move it, I broke it. It was time to clean it up.

As I handled some eggs the ones that are due to hatch on Wednesday I could hear little chirps. So far I have had 3 birds hatch out of 2 dozen eggs in the bator, so this gives me a little hope. I really think that I ordered eggs to early and relying on mailing sucks.

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    that is a good sign. I usally hear mine inside the shell right before they pip.

3. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I raised the humidty and shut off the turner. I pitched about 10 eggs that hadn't developed. I will never do a staggered hatch again.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    do you know what day the eggs that you heard chirping from are on? Because usally once you can hear them that means they have piped the air sac.

5. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    These are a batch that is due Wednesday. But I recognized that as a ball park.

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    You could possibly see some babies by tomorrow then.

7. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I hope so that would make my day. My big question is can I put them in the same brooder with the 1 week olds or will they get picked on?

8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:You might want to give them a day or two on their own before putting them in with the "big" kids. I put two hatches together that were a week apart and didn't have any trouble.

9. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    Sounds good.

10. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    One little yellow ball has hatched. I am hoping that he encourages the others. No way am I opening the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by