chirpy chirperton -- silkie noises?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kellykate, Apr 21, 2009.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Ok I have had more questions about this one bird than all my others combined!! It is a Silkie x EE mix with funny green feet and a greenish beak. I love this little mutt because she really is an oddball!

Anyhow, my question is regarding her chirp -- it is waaay different than the little chirps and peeps from the other birds. Is it characteristic of a silkie (never had one!) to have a different sound? As I am typing I can totally identify her "voice" from the other chicks. Definitely not a crow or squak -just more of a warbling sound??

Arrrr -- this is hard to explain!! Ok well, if this is silkie common knowledge please put me in my place and if I am nuts and this is totally normal feel free to tell me that too!!! Thanks for your help![​IMG]

2. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I see you wrote this in February, so I imagine that by now, you've learned that those chirps/warbling are characteristic of those wonderful silkies.....you're hooked! They'll capture your heart and the "mutt" silkies can be just as darling.

3. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Nope -- you're right on time -- I just wrote it today! Whew --glad to know -- I have to admit I was getting a little concerned she was part Morning Dove!! Ha;)

And yes, I am hooked! Even started looking for a full Silkie pullet here in maine! Ahhh the addiction continues. I have gone from my original 5 to 6 to 8 chickens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by