Chitty chatt..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladybug99, May 10, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have one chick her little mate died about a week ago.. so I have been putting her out with the big girls during the day in a big dog cage and in the evening I bring her back to the brooder. Most night she settles down very quickly drinks some water, eats some food and then props herself up on the edge of the brooder and sleeps the night thru. Well tonight she is just a little chattter box, she has her heat lamp, her food and water are fresh and so are the wood shavings...she has her own little toys..no sign of mites or other creepy crawelies.... but she is just peeping away on the rim of the brooder.. not in any distress.. she is actually preening her self and chattering as she does this.. this is actually the first time I have ever seen any chick preen itself. She stops for a moment if I go into the room but then she goes right back to cleaning her feathers.. I think she is talking to her self.....

No word on any chicks her age.. she is almost all feathered out so her nights in the house are numbered... maybe she is missing the big girls....the sounds in the coop are much different than here in the house....who knows what is going on in her little brain [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    awww..she sounds sweet! She needs a buddy...If its warm at night-and it should be since your in Jersey. leave her in the cage at night with lots of bedding to snuggle into to stay warm...

3. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    LOL I figured out what her problem was....I have the brooder on a table next to the washer and dryer and she quieted right down after the laundry was done.. poor little dear did not like the vibrations of the machines. [​IMG] The nights are still cold here about 40 degrees but she is going out to the coop for good this weekend for sure.. with her heat lamp of course. she is making a big mess in the house.. she is not staying in the brooder and there is poop every where in my laundry room [​IMG]

I think she has gotten use to the roominess of the dog's cage and the fact she can see everything going on around her

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here she is about a week and a half ago....she has all her back feathers now... just a little bit of fluff needs to grow out on her head... she is enterting the dianasour stage now

Last edited: May 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by