1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chloe's Gone :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mak, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    My little supposed-to-be-Dominique that we think was really a BR given the way her comb grew, died last night. She was in the basement in an isolation cage because I knew she was not well. She seemed to be, if not better, at least holding her own for a few days. She would drink the sugar water, and eat a little. The last couple days I think she just gave up. I don't know what was wrong. She was never a strong chicken, I do know that. She was small, and certainly on the low end of the pecking order. She often would hang out all alone in the pen, and sleep off on one end of the roosts away from the other hens. They were all bought as babies in May. Chloe has never laid an egg, tho the others have been laying for months. I've had her inside a few times before when she'd get some diarrhea and be kind of lethargic. A few days of extra good food and she would perk right up. Not this time.

There didn't seem to be any sign of struggle and she never seemed to be in pain, so I think her passing was peaceful, anyway.

None of the other chickens is showing any sign of being sick at all, but, believe me, I am watching them closely!

I know that she may have just been a weak and not well chicken from the start, and maybe there was nothing anyone could have done. I still can't help wonder if there was something else I could do. I hate losing pets!

We'll miss you, Chloe! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG] I have a Chloe too. She's a light brahma and one of my favorites.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss. These little ones certainly have a way of taking up lots of room in our hearts, don't they? [​IMG]

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like failure to thrive...we had one like that too.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so sorry for the loss of Chloe - she was obviously very special to you! Please don't feel bad about it - sometimes they just die for no apparent reason - I always cry like a baby whenever any of mine die and I have wonderered if there was anything I could have done or any symptoms I could have recognised and I have now learned that occasionally it is nature taking it's course - you did all you could to help her - be happy that she was yours and that she gave you so much pleasure - I am sobbing for you now so I must go!
    [​IMG]:hugs

6. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Thanks. Yeah, she was a favorite here. She'd come when you called her, and she was my "tattle tale"! She'd follow me around, telling me all the coop gossip! LOL Hubby says the others probably poisoned her to keep her from talking! At least he made me laugh!

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sorry for your loss. I think it's worse when you've taken extra care of something - you're closer then.
    Someone once said that if dogs died at the rate chickens do, very few people would own dogs. At least chickens lay eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by