chloramphenicol for sinusitis? chicken is dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dowie, May 18, 2011.

1. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi my chicken has had a sinus infection for FOUR MONTHS now. She has been treated with baytril and doxycycline. She's 'ok', but still has a big puffy sinus and bubbly eye. I just got a script for a human eye drop treatment for me (I don't need it now) - the chemical name is chloramphenicol. Has anyone used this on their chickens? Is it safe? I live in Australia, so that's why I'm using the chemical name. In Australia it is called 'chlorsig'.

Any insight on what to do would be appreciated. I've tried everything, from flushing her sinuses out, squeezing out the infection, etc.

Thanks!

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It might not be just a sinus infection. In fact, chickens don't get "colds" like we do. Chickens can get around 6 different respiratory infections and several of them will make the birds chronically ill. Baytril is a VERY good antibiotic for some of these things, but will not do anything for the viral ones for instance. I have a feeling she is suffering from one of the viral illnesses since the baytril has not done anything. She may get better, but may possibley remain a carrier of the disease and get other birds sick. Have your other birds been sick? Have you kept the sick one separated from your other birds? Most of these are very contagious. Some very knowledgable folks would encourage you to cull her so that the infection does not spread to other birds. That's really a personal decision and a hard one to make. Try putting respiratory illness in the search bar to read more of what other folks think and lots more information there.

As far as the eye drops go, not really sure. I really don't think it would hurt her to try it if you wanted too. Good luck. Hopefully this has been helpful. [​IMG]

3. Dowie

Apr 29, 2011
    Well, if it's viral she's like me then (got glandular fever a few years ago and still sick!). She hasn't passed it on to any other chicken. I did seperate her out, but after two weeks she was NOT happy.

I know, I should cull her. But she's my baby! I want to exhaust every possibility before I do. [​IMG] I might also try Tylan. She's running around, eating lots. But yeah, it might be time to let go. Once again - [​IMG]

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    so sorry, it is heartbreaking for sure. Give the Tylan 50 a try. Give it 0.5 cc just under the skin for 7 days. Injectable is best. I have heard of giving it orally, but pretty sure injectable works a bit better. Is she wheezing and having a hard time breathing? Some folks swear by oxine in a fogger for them to breathe in. It can kill a virus. You could also look into Denagard. This is one of the newer medications that are supposed to do wonders for some of these chronic respiratory issues. Pretty sure you may have to order these last 2 online. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. Dowie

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi, thanks for that! I just posted again - and then realised you'd posted me a very comprehensive response on this thread. The big problem is I'm in Australia, so there aren't many treatment options here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by