Chlorine in water

JaseJess

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2019
San Antonio
Evening all,
I installed a 55 gallon waterer for the flock that is gravity fed into a pvc pipe...chickens love it and all adjusted nicely from the 5 gallon bucket system I had going. Question...is it safe to put a chlorine floater in the plastic drum to help combat algae? It's clear, in the shade but does get sun. Just washed it out today. Any ideas, TIA

Attachments

• 20190831_181629.jpg
    20190831_181629.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 57
Chlorine is less effective when in uv radiation. You could try Oxine. Not activated Oxine. I think the dosage is a few drops per gallon, but google should give you a certain answer.

Evening all,
I installed a 55 gallon waterer for the flock that is gravity fed into a pvc pipe...chickens love it and all adjusted nicely from the 5 gallon bucket system I had going. Question...is it safe to put a chlorine floater in the plastic drum to help combat algae? It's clear, in the shade but does get sun. Just washed it out today. Any ideas, TIA
You could try some cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods. Mine love it. It's It should get you a week at least. (antibiotic and fungal is why they are in pickling spice)

If you're talking about trichlor tablets then that's not a good idea. Besides adding cyanuric acid to the water the chlorine would probably build to a toxic level in 55 gallons of water pretty quickly and if you didn't monitor the chlorine level, then it would not be good for the chickens.

It it were mine, I would use bleach, block the sunlight from penetrating the container, and get a chlorine test kit. This would require about 5 min every day to test and add chlorine once you get in the groove of it. Just keep about 3-4 pmm of free chlorine in the water and stir it good when you add it.

Use this to figure how much bleach to add:
https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
All you need to use is the FC row.

I have added liquid chlorine bleach to water and figured it was .55 tablespoons to 15 gallons. As Pibb added I only treat it once in a while so it is not building up.

Sanitising water with bleach is rated at 8 drops per gallon of drinking water.

Make life easier for you. Only give them enough water for two days.
If your using city treated water it has everything you need to keep algae from growing . My water system can hold close to 7 gallons. My flock drink maybe a gallon a day. So every 3 days I add 3 gallons. My water stays nice and clean.
I drain it maybe every 2 weeks and let it dry out for a few days. I use a 5 gallon waterer during maintenance cleaning

Back
Top Bottom