1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chlorine In Water.??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pump Hill Peeps, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Pump Hill Peeps

Pump Hill Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Jordan, NY
    I have a 550 gal water tank that fills from my barn roof (metal). After a week or 2 or 3. i get a slight algea build up and the water gets a greenish tint to it. I use this water mainly for our gardens but the chickens get some in a separate 50 gal barrel that I run a hose to. Can I, and if so, add a small amount of chlorine to it to sanitize the water? I use chlorine to sanitize my beer making equipment at a rate of a cap full to 5 gal. Has anyone tried this? Of course I don't want to pioson the chicks. Just looking for a way to give them clean water without lugging it 200 yards every day.

2. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    I would use hydrogen peroxide to sanitize the water because of all the contaminants and potential for bio film growth. I would use darkness to prevent algae growth.
    Also, peroxide is more stable in higher temperatures than chlorine.
    Generally the water will be more palatable after that period of time using peroxide rather than chlorine.

I would not use vinegar; formulated (like from the store), ACV, raw, with mother or sediments, or motherless with or without sediments for this situation. vinegar

3. Pump Hill Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Jordan, NY
    I did paint the 50 gallon barrel black. Never new about peroxide. How much would you say for 50 gal?

4. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:This explains it better than I could considering my typing endurance.
    http://www.ozoneservices.com/articles/008.htm

In the poultry industry we like to have 10 PPM delivered to the open basin type waterer furthest from the treated water source. In closed drinker systems (nipples) we like to have 2 or 3 PPM at the same location.

You see it isn't a matter of how much water you have but how much contamination is in the for the H2O2 to react with. That is why it is tested at the delivery point.

We found that 20 PPM did not adversely affect layers when they drank it for week 2 to 16 of their lives.

5. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Hmm, this brings up another question.

What if you are on county water and that is the water that your flock and other animals get?? I know it has chlorine in it.

6. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    If you are using community water it already has chlorine in it. I surely would not add more. I have had good results adding Braggs Organic ACV at the rate of one Tablespoon per gallon
    which has kept algae out of the water. Do not use the ACV you find on store shelves, such as Heintz. It is pasteurized and does not work. Find the organic.

7. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    So where do you find ACV? I would like to put this in our dogs water buckets, they are always turning green. Haven't had that problem (YET) with the chickens, but I am sure we will eventually.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I found mine in the health food section of Kroger. Most health food places carry it. I use Braggs Organic ACV, because that is what Kroger carried. The brand
    shouldn't matter as long as it is organic.

9. Pump Hill Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Jordan, NY
    Thanks Neil. that is very useful info. i'll try to get some test strips and see how that goes. Also, What is ACV?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by