Chocolate, AGAIN.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CluckyJay, Jun 17, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    [​IMG] I was just told that Chocolate is not a partridge rock bantam rooster. I need help again IDing this sweet little boy.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/crimsontsavo/Help ID This Chick From MurrayMcMurray/

I can get better shots if you need them. I am beginning to think that McMurray shipped me a mutt bantam, lol. He is getting beetle green/purplish tail, neck and wing feathers. [​IMG]

This little bird is driving me mad. He has stumped us from day one!

Chocolate is just over 4 months old now.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I have no clue but he sure is pretty.

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks, lol. He is a super sweetie.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Maybe a bantie Rhode Island Red?

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    That was our first ID on him. I just knew that was his breed and I was soooo happy. Then people told me no. [​IMG] I was so heart broken I nearly started drinking, LOL. [​IMG]

If he IS a RIR bantam, I will be THRILLED!! [​IMG]

6. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Wonder if that would mean he is a she? This is the slowest growing chicken I have ever had.

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I have 7 in my brooder right now that are 3 weeks old and only have wing feathers. I keep looking at them thinking "Surely, they can't ALL be roos." The two OEGs that are in with them and are the same age are almost completely feathered out. This is my first time with bantam RIRs. In all of my other breeds, the roos are normally very slow to feather. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that both sexes are slow to feather.

Hmmm, now that you've put new pics up... I don't see anything that would make me think roo. All of the feathers are very rounded. There sure is a lot of black still on Chocolate though. Doesn't have the lacing for a Barnevelder. Maybe the black will continue to molt out? [​IMG] I just don't have enough experience with bantam Rhodies to say.

8. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    He definately doesn't look like my Partridge Rock roo. He does have exceptional coloring! Very handsome!

9. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Thanks guys! I will keep a check on how Chocolate grows and post back when he/she is more mature. Someday we'll figure it out, lol.

10. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    My free exotic chick from McMurrary is a bantam RIR (I think). She took forever to feather out. I am fairly certain she is a she.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by