chocolate bantam cochns ? who has them ? who wants them ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cochin123, Aug 3, 2010.

1. cochin123

cochin123 Songster

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    I was messing with my pens and my mottled room got my choc splash pullet , and I hatched a chick and it was chocolate [​IMG] and it is so cute [​IMG] . Is anyone else breeding them ? How long do you think it will take to breed the tails out of them ? And do you think I can get a chocolate mottled out of the chicks if I breed them together ? I would love to have a chocolate mottled [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I want to see pictures!

3. cochin123

cochin123 Songster

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    [​IMG]+ [​IMG]= ( will get pics of chick later )

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I wish there was a chocolate ameraucana! I might just have to get some chocolate cochins LOL

5. Chrissysmarans

Chrissysmarans In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    FL
    I want one Just love my cochins and Chocolate![​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    So its a Cochin X OEGB cross ? And be careful calling them Chocolates, OEGBs are not true Chocolates, they are Dun, so if you started a project, they would be Dun Cochins.

7. DANNY

DANNY Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    That's true about the dun. It is not a self chocolate gene. I think if I have this right. The difference is that self chocolates bred together produce all chocolate and the duns bred together produce chocolate (dun) , kahki and black. I am working on the third generation of chocolate/dun cochins. It's going to take a while to get them good.

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yes that is correct, True Chocolate as in Seramas, Orps, and some other breeds, is a sexlinked recessive gene that will breed true. Dun as in the OEGBs and others does not breed true and also produces blacks and Khakis ( it works like Blue)

9. cochin123

cochin123 Songster

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:Yes that is correct, True Chocolate as in Seramas, Orps, and some other breeds, is a sexlinked recessive gene that will breed true. Dun as in the OEGBs and others does not breed true and also produces blacks and Khakis ( it works like Blue)

yep
    Khakis x black = dun
    dun x dun=50% dun , 25% black , 25% Khakis

10. cochin123

cochin123 Songster

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:pics ??? did you get my pm's >?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: