1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate Bantam Orpingtons - Direct UK Import

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pampered_poultry, Jun 23, 2011.

1. pampered_poultry

pampered_poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    The most gorgeous and beautiful Chocolate Bantam Orpingtons have settle in at the pampered poultry house rather nice. We started out bringing in a small flock of 5 and are excited to see them adapt well to the heat. They have really enjoyed their free range time and truly love their cricket treats we give them daily. Like all of our birds here they are on strictly Purina diet and so far have been feathering out nicely. The pictures may not show this - but these birds are extremely "fluffy" to hold and their chocolate color is deep. We have nicknamed our rooster "Hersey" - and the name truly fits his stature.

We are shooting to have chicks available sometime in November this year. That is if all goes well! These birds simply are slow layers and we must work through any fertility issues that could arise. We do not have a date when we will be selling eggs - but I am sure it will be 8 months or more down the road. Prices on the eggs are not set, but we have priced the chicks at $ 175 each.

We will have lemons cuckoos, split lemon cuckoos, chocolate bantams, cream legbar, silver sussex, light sussex and possibly two other rare breeds available this spring. The two other breeds are dependent on availability from the UK.

Please feel free to check our website for updates: www.jordan-farm.com.

<4815>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They are grogeous. Congrats on them arriving and settling in so well. I will love watching this project prosper. [​IMG]

3. pampered_poultry

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    THANKS! I appreciate your kind words.

4. Those are some COOL [​IMG] looking birds you have there. Did you go with bantams just to be ornamental or what? Just curious. I think they look great.

5. pampered_poultry

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    We are also looking into large fowl - the bantams were the first ones that came available. I, personally, wanted the chocolate color so bad.... I really did not care which one came first. [​IMG]

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:Are you going to add in American Black Orp bantams or is there enough genetic diversity to breed them for a while?

7. pampered_poultry

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    Great question TK! This brings to point that anyone getting into the Chocs need to understand the color genetics. Continual breed out of the same flock will turn your Chocs light colored. In this bloodline we feel as though we have enough diversity to move several months into laying; however we will be bringing in the Blacks soon!!

We have located some US standard Black Bantam Orpingtons and we be traveling withing the next weeks to check them out. In the meantime we are looking to the UK for Blacks.

8. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Why does it lighten? Is it like Splash x Splash it just washes out after several generations?

9. pampered_poultry

Feb 16, 2011
    South GA
    That is what I understand from the breeder we purchased these from. I have not seen it first hand....but we will be getting in Blacks now to prevent that.

10. TK Poultry

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:I see. Sorry for the questions. I'm just curious. I've not seen many pictures of Chocolate Orps in the US. OR talked to any chocolate owners

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by