chocolate color in bantam cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fairwindminishetland, Mar 7, 2012.

1. fairwindminishetland

fairwindminishetland Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    seminole oklahoma
    My Coop
    I recently saw a posting for eggs from bantam cochins that would give some chicks in a chocolate color...Can any of you experts out there explain how you develop this color? Sounds interesting.

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    The easy way would be to find a Chocolate Color bird to start with and breed it into the breed that you want. Like a English Chocolate Orp Roo over a Black Cochin Hen. It would take a few generations but it might work. It might also produce a dun color, Light brown or Khaki.

Nate

3. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Also keep in mind there's a difference between being a "chocolate color" and actually carrying the "chocolate color gene". The two don't necessarily go together. It can be a brown colored bird, but not carry the sex-linked chocolate color gene.

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    The question has been answered, but I bought chocolate bantam Orps to breed chocolate bantam Cochins. I don't know how many generations it will take to get the right foot feathering, leg coloring and cushions. It's a project for sure. And if someone is using Seramas, they may be farther from the goal than you think. And they could be khaki/dun based, as stated, and not chocolate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by