1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kuntrychick, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    What kind of chicken lays the darkest chocolate colored eggs? Is It the Copper Marans? If you have that kind of chicken, let me see your chickens & pics of eggs, please! I want one or two really bad! Where can I get one?

Isn't there other colors like Splash & such of Marans too? Do they also lay the very dark chocolate eggs?

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Marans are the overall "type" that lay dark eggs. There are maran breeds that carry a specific color gene who also lay the dark eggs.

Several non-maran breeds lay dark eggs as well, the names of which escape me now. I can think of welsummers, pandescas, and....that's all I got right now. It is far too late for me to think.

4. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Black Copper Marans or BCM is what I've been told. They do lay beautiful eggs! But I usually only get 3 eggs a week per hen. And they take lots of egg laying breaks So their not the most prolific chickens.

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Any of the Marans colors, Black Copper, Blue Copper, Splash, Cuckoo, etc, all lay the dark, chocolate colored eggs. That "darkness" varies per individual bird though, with some laying lighter/darker than others of the breed.

Welsummer chickens are also supposed to lay dark eggs, though I don't know if they are as dark as the darkest Marans lay.

Don't know if there are any Marans breeders near you, but thunder123 here on BYC is a local breeder of FBCM's in my neck of the woods (in Louisiana) and is the person I bought my Marans chicks from.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Barnvelders, Pendenescas and Welsummers all lay dark brown eggs.

7. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We had two Cuckoo Marans. One of them was killed by a hawk last week, but she had been laying for about a month. Her eggs were a rich brown, with an almost orange tint. Our other one who has been laying for a couple of weeks, lays huge, dark eggs. Really dark.

8. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    The 3 dark eggs are from my Welsummer

[​IMG]

This is from my Cuckoo Marans... is much darker than my Welsummer's eggs
    [​IMG]

9. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:Nice! Where did you get them? How do your welsummers lay?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by