Chocolate for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JenO, Aug 27, 2010.

1. JenO

JenO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    I wouldn't normally even consider wasting chocolate on even my fave chickens, but my toddler was licking the nutella off the toast and I do draw the line at slobbery leftovers. I know it's not good for doggies, wasn't sure if I should chance it with the girls. [​IMG]

2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Never! All chocolate, especially nutella, must be sent to ME!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    [​IMG]
    No, No - send it to me! [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

If you google the question, almost all the hits warn that chocolate is deadly toxic to all birds.

Imp- but not to imps. [​IMG]

5. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    It's the theobromine in chocolate which is toxic to birds and other animals. Milk chocolate and most chocolate-flavored items have very little theobromine because they have very little real chocolate in them... they're mostly milk, cocoa butter and sugar. Dark chocolate is laden with theobromine and that's what you should avoid giving chickens, dogs, cats, or other animals.

6. JenO

JenO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Newberg, OR
    Thanks, it became moot when my dog snagged the toast off the edge of the table while I was at the computer! It wasn't very much so I'm not so worried about him. (altho he certainly doesn't need the calories or ppl food, and he CERTAINLY shouldn't be snagging food off the table!) As for Luke 13:34 and HyLinda...seriously...I wouldn't be giving it to the animals if it was worth sending it to a friend. It was a piece of toast smeared with nutella, then most of the nutella LICKED off by my two year old. So whatever nutella was left on the slightly soggy bread was watered down with toddler slobber. If you are that desperate for nutella, I'm sure we could find a way to hook you up without involving the soggy toast. [​IMG]

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    While milk chocolate is nowhere near as dangerous as other chocolates, I would still avoid intentionally giving it to any animal. It's not worth the risk.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by