1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate Gene in Orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Jan 3, 2009.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I am wondering if I have the recessive Chocolate gene. I have this black hen that just went through a molt and She has chocolate feathers. I think I thought she needed to molt before but maybe I have a recessive gene I could work with. Here are some pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I LOVE that chocolate color! Wow!!

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Good luck with that project Julie...you know you have to take it on. [​IMG]

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    WOW she is beauitful Maybe breed her to her dad or one of her sons? That would be so cool to get some choclate orphs is it incomplete dominant or incomplete recessive?

5. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

BamaChicken it sure looks like she does....That would be awesome if she is..thats not dun i wouldn't think..

gonna research choc a bit..

Charlie

6. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Do you think that is a recessive Chocolate gene kicking in? I am will ing if that is what I have.

7. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Chocolate gene is a sex linked recessive mutant gene, so the females cannot hide the gene. If they possess the choc gene, they will be Chocolate. Males, however can be carriers and require two copies to be visually Chocolate. choc gene discovered by Dr. W. Clive Carefoot

I dont know if this helps...But Id surely breed her

Charlie

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  8. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    I have emailed a friend in Scotland that is working on several Chocolate projects to get his Opinion and advice to start a project if this is the gene

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Keep us posted Julie, that would really be something.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wow! What a wonderful project you have to work on!

Angela Stanley at one time had some chocolate show up in some male orps but I don't know any of the details on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by