Chocolate Mottled

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Hillbilly Mom, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Hillbilly Mom

Hillbilly Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    I am going to start working toward Chocolate Mottled Orpingtons. I started with a Chocolate Rooster and Black Mottled Hens. I know I will keep the best from them and breed brother to sister to get Chocolate Mottled. My question is, I know have purchased a Chocolate Split to Mottled hen. What will I breed her with? Do I breed her with Chocolate Rooster or Mottled Rooster? What will I get if I breed to both?

2. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    mottling is recessive so to get some mottled from a carrier ( your CSM) you have to breed her to a mottled roo.

CSM = chocolate split to mottled hen

1. CSM hen x mottled roo= F1 some F1 are mottled and some are black no chocolate F1 because chocolate is a recessive sex linked gene.

all the F1 males will carry one choc gene and can produce some chocolate females if an F1 male is crossed with a black hen

cross an F1 mottled male to a mottled hen will produce some F2 choc mottled hens, no F2 males will be chocolate but they will be a carrier of choc gene

2. CSM hen x chocolate roo = F1 are all chocolate but no mottling some will carry mottling ( split) and some will not carry mottling

look for F1 that show mottling in juvenile plumage these will most likely be your mottling carriers

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  3. Hillbilly Mom

Hillbilly Mom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank you!

4. opossum04

opossum04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2012
    Frierson, La
    2nd Generation Choc Mottled chick
    [​IMG]

I started this project early last year and I am excited at the results. I began with a Choc Roo over Mottled hens. I have a Black split for Choc mottled Roo and Choc split for mottled hens showing faint markings. They are producing quite a few mottled and Choc mottled chicks. I got a little cockerel set back with a lot of mottling for my next generation. This has been an awesome project but I have no idea what these chicks will be worth at the end result. Anyone know what Choc Mottled chicks are going for?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are my quad of breeders.

5. opossum04

opossum04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2012
    Frierson, La
    [​IMG]

A better pic of Choc Mottled chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by