chocolate Muscovey

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nfrost, Oct 24, 2011.

1. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    We have 3 chocolate ducks, well i went on vacation for a week let someone take care of the animals well we have 2 males 1 female yes i know bad ratio but we didnt know when they were babies, well when i got back from vaca the female was gone thought she was eatin cause she has been gone for 2 months, went ot the back pond a few times to look and saw nothing, well went back there today and she was there the males followed me and they immediately starting chasing here around pretty bad, are they trying to mate with her this late in the year or why would they not like her, and should i catch her and bring her to the coop for a day or 2 to get reaquainted, or wait till it snows than go get her, i know i gotta get rid of 1 male, but my famliy doesnt have the heart to get rid of one or eat one, and i cant get another femlae till spring at least any suggestions?

2. nfrost

May 1, 2011
    Anyone?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds to me like they may have made her life miserable and she left, got hungry and came home only to be chased by them boys again. you need to separate her from them or they may injure her or possibly kill her by agressive over mating. I know it hard to part with them < i just had to find a home for one of my drakes but I knew it was for the best. Plus in the spring those boys will be fighting too, best to have 1 drake and at least 3 to 4 girls. Unless you have a Very large setup with lots of girls. because I think the drakes will still fight.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:x2

How can you not have the heart to get rid of one of the males, but be ok with letting them over-bred and make the females life miserable?

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:x2

How can you not have the heart to get rid of one of the males, but be ok with letting them over-bred and make the females life miserable?

I have to agree. It is unfair/dangerous for the female. Don't feel too bad. I have to get rid of 4 drakes because I ended up with 5:1.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Echoing the others, sadly a drake will have to go. I know all to well, what a rather unpleasant choice that is, one that i will have to make again as i am still to high in the drake ratio with my own flock.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Some of us are just so soft hearted. I fall in love with all my ducks drakes included, but I have seen what over breeding can do and it isn't a pretty site.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Some of us are just so soft hearted. I fall in love with all my ducks drakes included, but I have seen what over breeding can do and it isn't a pretty site.

What calmed my feelings was how my flock was so much more peaceful within 72hrs after my one drake leaving, it really was the right choice.. even though it wasn't easy to do.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

What calmed my feelings was how my flock was so much more peaceful within 72hrs after my one drake leaving, it really was the right choice.. even though it wasn't easy to do.

very true!

10. nfrost

May 1, 2011
    Ok so if I get rid of one and go to a 1:1 ratio will that be fine, or still bad I can get rid of one. And I need to catch her to get her acquainted with the coop again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by