Chocolate Muscoveys

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nfrost, Aug 14, 2011.

1. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Can anyone tell the the sex of these ducks? and the black one got bit by a dog pretty bad, idk if u can see the chunk missing out of its back, its been like 3-4 days its eating and drinking do u think it will survive?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    have you given it any medical attention? what age are they?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    If you haven't already, you should wash the wound and apply antibiotic ointment without pain reliever. It may have survived the initial attack but that doesn't mean it can't still die of infection. If I were going to hazard a guess based on size (assuming they are all the same age) I would say the black one is a drake, the middle chocolate one is a drake, and the chocolate one on the end is a hen. (from the first pic)

4. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    yes there all the same age, and no no medical attention cant get close enough to catch it, and will this work if it is 2 male and a female i dont have anyway to get more females.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Not a good ratio for the one female, they will over breed her. might want to find a home for 1 male. Do you not put them up at night? Then you could clean up the wound.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    YOu'll need to keep the wound clean to keep off infection. My one drake survived from a coon attack at 4.5/5wks of age.. he has only been left with a mild limp and blindness in an eye.. he had a HUGE chunk removed from his side hence the limp..but we treated it and kept infection away.

I tend to agree with PP look like the last is a hen.. basing on the sizing variance. Also no two drakes one hen won't be enough, you can either add more hens or get ride of a drake.. i have a half dozen here.. two are drakes.. rest are hens i had to add to my flock since my ratios were off.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  7. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i agree on the sexes left to right in the top pic looks like drake, drake, duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by