Chocolate Muscovies

NorCalFarmerJ

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
Sonoma County, California
Hello all,

I just got a new chocolate drake from a friend and have two chocolate females as well. This spring I had a black drake mate one of the chocolates and got a bunch of black ducklings. I guess chocolate is sex linked...? Anyways, Im hoping to propagate the chocolates so was wondering what my mating should be like ? Any suggestions?

Congratulations! Will pictures be following...?
big_smile.png

One of our July Muscovy ducklings is a chocolate drake and I'd LOVE to keep him for my two chocolate girls, but I'm still 'fighting' that battle with myself... We've no need for more males & he was destined for the freezer before he was even laid.
tongue.png
(But he's so pretty! *whine whine*)

I actually got one chocolate out of a blue and a black pairing mind you the duck has some chocolate on her..(she's in my avatar) good luck getting your goal, i now have 4 chocolate ducks but i don't intend on breeding again.

I am terrible with genetics but will try to explain what I did with some of my breeding ducks.
I was told that if you mate a Chocolate drake (or a drake that is a chocolate carrier) with a black hen, you will get sex-linked chocolate female ducklings.
I have a black pied drake that I mated with my black pied hens. I got many colors (buff, chocolate, black, white and lavender) but all of the chocolate ducklings were females. Out of 3 clutches, 47 ducklings total, I ended up with 15 chocolates and ALL were females! All of the buffs (5 of them) were also females. The whites, blacks, and lavenders were all a combination of males and females.

So, like I said, I am still trying to learn my genetics, but I've found that unless you have strictly PURE chocolates, you can end up with other colors too, not just chocolate ducklings. But that would be a good experiment. Take your new chocolate drake and mate him with your chocolate hens just to see what they yield. Sometimes thats the easiest way to find out what certain breedings will give you

Back
Top Bottom