chocolate or dun and other questions?-pic heavy

dinahmoe

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
central georgia
my breeding goal is to have a huge chocolate feather legged chicken that lays a chocolate egg.this is for my own personal satisfaction, not trying to "create" another breed or variety or trying to meet any standards.i just happen to like brown colored birds.i have hatched out my F1s and in my head,i have a plan through F4.i hatched out 15/18 eggs.
i have read some things but would like some of you to try and make it more simple for me.lol
1.are these chocolate or dun or what?-neither parent is chocolate or dun in color
2.are they recessive and what if they are bred to each other?
3.they are supposed to be sex links-1/15 has a head spot and is barred so maybe a yes?
4.is the feathered leg gene dominate?-they all have feathered legs but only one parent does.

group shot-the one in the back has the head spot.

sex link?has head spot and is barred

same color as above-no head spot

all the solid ones have brown feathers coming in of varying shades right now.

they are either light or dark brown except for 2

these are the 2 strange ones and they may end up barred.

What breed and which color to which parent?

They are not chocolate or dun.

i bred my buff cochin rooster to my cuckoo marans hens.
the rooster for the size and feathered legs and the marans for the egg color.i want to work on the egg color in the next generation.

ok,so what would they be called and what do you think they will look like?

thank you for any help :)

i bred my buff cochin rooster to my cuckoo marans hens.
the rooster for the size and feathered legs and the marans for the egg color.i want to work on the egg color in the next generation.
ok,so what would they be called and what do you think they will look like?
thank you for any help
smile.png

some self buff birds carry Blue or dun, by looking at some of your chicks it seems it blue instead of du, cochin rooster over a cuckoo maran hen will give you barred roosters and none barred hens, sex links, if you want cocholate birds start with at least one chocolate bird, a rooster is the best way to go about

some self buff birds carry Blue or dun, by looking at some of your chicks it seems it blue instead of du, cochin rooster over a cuckoo maran hen will give you barred roosters and none barred hens, sex links, if you want cocholate birds start with at least one chocolate bird, a rooster is the best way to go about

thank you for the info.

whatever color they are called,they sure are neat to watch.can't wait to see what they grow out to look like.

I agree with Henk, you can not produce a chocolate bird from the parent stock. The cross should produce silver males and gold females. The red faces on the black chicks is caused by a gene found in the buff male. Some of the chicks do appear to be blue as was stated by Nicalandia

Tim

I agree with Henk, you can not produce a chocolate bird from the parent stock. The cross should produce silver males and gold females. The red faces on the black chicks is caused by a gene found in the buff male. Some of the chicks do appear to be blue as was stated by Nicalandia

Tim

thank you for the info,genetics :barnie

i could could learn to love blue birds :)

Back
Top Bottom