chocolate orpingtions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cwesson, Aug 9, 2013.

1. cwesson

cwesson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    i bought some chocolate orp eggs they are said to med sized, they hatched 7 were chocolate and 2 were black what do i do with the black ones. i herd that the choc ones were hens and the black were roos i have no idea whats going on please help

2. cwesson

Jun 26, 2012
    Info on chocolate orps

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Assuming they are choc and not dun based, you need to ask the breeder about the parent birds. The black ones are either males with one copy of choc or females with no copies, and the choc ones are females or males with two copies. Depending on the parents' colour, you might be able to narrow it down as the gene is sex-linked. But if the father was split and the mother was choc, you won't be able to tell. If the father was split and the mother was black, the chocs are all girls, but you won't know if the blacks are split or not. And you could have some black girls.

So, you need to ask the breeder about the parents.

4. cwesson

Jun 26, 2012
    The parents are both choc , but used black roo over choc bantam to make large foul. Said black is a resesive gene

5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That doesn't make sense. The cock couldn't have been both black and choc. Or did she mean that the cock was black split to choc? Black is not recessive. At least not the black you are talking about.

If the father is black and not split to choc (Choc+/Choc+), and the mother was choc (choc/-), you will get black daughters and black sons that are split to choc.
    choc -
    Choc+ Choc+/choc Choc+/-
    Choc+ Choc+/choc Choc+/-

If the father is black and split to choc (Choc+/choc) and the mother is choc (choc/-), you will get both black and choc daughters and black split to choc and choc sons:
    choc -
    Choc+ Choc+/choc Choc+/-
    choc choc/choc choc/-

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Only if the father is choc and the mother black will you get all choc daughters and black sons (and they will all be split to choc):
    Choc+ -
    choc Choc+/choc choc/-
    choc Choc+/choc choc/-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by