Chocolate Orpington Cockerel - Ready to Breed

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by pips&peeps, Nov 15, 2011.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I purchased one too many chocolate orpingtons this summer. This guy is about 4-5 months old and is huge. He is the smallest of the cockerels I receved. I wouldn't really categorized him as a bantam, but that is what he was sold to me as. He now weighs 5 lbs 9 oz and should top out at around 7 lbs or more according to my orpington sources. He has been in quarantine since I got him and has been vaccinated for mareks and ILT. (Schering Plough vaccine)

This is the perfect bird for large fowl crosses and is ready to start breeding now; no waiting for a chick to grow out. To my knowlege other sellers are not offering birds of this size/age.

I prefer payment by cashier's check or USPS money order. Payment to be made immediately following auction. Shipping is by express mail with new box.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Would you cross him with blacks or...?

3. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Yes, to introduce chocolate into another breed, you would cross to black. From a mating of a chocolate male to black females, all female offspring would be chocolate and all the resulting males would be carrying the chocolate gene.

Female birds carrying the chocolate gene must express it.

4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Where did he come from? Is he from the UK or was he originally breed in the US? What breeder did you get him from? Sorry for all the questions? Shouldn't this bird be breed back to Orpingtons that are imported from the UK correct? Has anyone successfully imported the blacks yet?

Thanks,
    MIchelle

5. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I got him from an auction from Marc. He was bred in the US from imported birds.

Yes, blacks have been imported already. You can also use him to introduce the chocolate gene into other breeds.

6. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Oh my gosh...he's just beautiful [​IMG]...now I have to convince my husband I need a chocolate chicken for Christmas!! [​IMG]

7. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    How big is he now, Jean?

8. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    5 lb 9 oz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by