CHOCOLATE ORPINGTON or WYANDOTTE like Dr Clive Carefoot was breeding

needmorechickens! :

Quote:
There are currently none in the US
sad.png
Maybe someone will go and start a breeding project
wink.png

Thanks for volunteering! Now let us know when you're done!
lau.gif

~Rebecca​

LOL. I would have to start off with a bantam breed. You breed them to black a lot like he lavender gene form what I hear. I do have access to both Chocolate OEGB and Bantam black Orps....hmmmmm

What makes them considered chocolate? I just hatched 4 orpingtons a week ago and they are brown. Their wings are coming in brown. They look like easter chocolates.

Quote:
Thanks for volunteering! Now let us know when you're done!
lau.gif

~Rebecca

LOL. I would have to start off with a bantam breed. You breed them to black a lot like he lavender gene form what I hear. I do have access to both Chocolate OEGB and Bantam black Orps....hmmmmm

Why do you have to start off with bantams? Is it because that is what you have access to?
And oh yeah, why are standard black orpingtons so hard to find?

~Rebecca

needmorechickens! :

Quote:

Why do you have to start off with bantams? Is it because that is what you have access to?
And oh yeah, why are standard black orpingtons so hard to find?

~Rebecca​

I could AI some adult Large Fowl black Orpingtons. Its just easier breeding bantam to bantams. Less time consuming.

Black LF orpingtons are so hard to find because a lot of breeders weren't breeding them and now everyone wants them. The few breeders that I know have them are flooded with orders and might not be able to fill all of them till next year. In a few years the market should be flooded with them agian. It all goes in cycles and certian breed become popular again and everyone is on the look out for them. It kinda like the same thing with the Marans. I just hope the Orpingtons stay popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I would love to see pictures too. Are you sure they are Orpingtons? That would be neat if they are
smile.png

I'm pretty sure they are orpington/sumatra. I have a buff orpington, buff brahma, blue sumatra and black australorp laying. The rooster is a black sumatra. I have a young light brahma roo, but don't think he contributed. I hatched 6 chicks. Two have australorp makings and leg color. 4 have brown legs and are a milk chocolate color. They have the eye shape of my orp. I posted a chick picture earlier in this thread, but now they are growing wing feathers that are pretty. I'll get a new picture today.

Wow looks like your on your way to breeding chocolate oprs. Would you breed them to black orps now? how would she do that. Must find a gene expert.

The only thing I am sure of where chickens are concerned it that if I see them in orp form I want them LOL

Good thing one of the 10 comandments are not thou shall not covent they neighbors chickens LOL.
I be going down under for sure.

Back
Top Bottom