1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate Orpington weak on onside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmccullough1390, Sep 9, 2016.

1. cmccullough1390

cmccullough1390 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just finished treating for cocidosis for all of my chicks and today my Chocolate Orpington can't stand or walk properly and is breathing heavily. She drinks and eats well there's no impacted crop or poopy butt. I just started antibiotic just incase respiratory I have no idea what's going on maybe she injured it but I have no idea how to address that.
    [​IMG]
    She's also panting
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  2. cmccullough1390

I do have her isolated with treated water and fresh food I hope her leg is just strained and will heal I just don't know what to do

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Leg bone deformities and tendon issues can be very common, but so can injuries and vitamin deficiencies. I would try some chick vitamins with trace minerals (that include riboflavin) or use some crushed B complex in it's food or water dailyto see if there is improvement.Slipped tendons can be difficult to treat with success, but here is some info to possibly help:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
    https://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/slipped-tendon/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...chick-anyone-ever-try-to-fix-this-experiences

4. cmccullough1390

Thank so much I just started poly vi sol incase is a deficiency. The only thing that screams injury to me is she's 4 weeks old and has never shown anything wrong until last night

5. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    I would isolate her. Closed eyes usually sign of pain or illness. Antibiotics won't hurt, but may not help either. Have these birds been vaccinated? What's the poop look like? Motor skill problems could be Mareks, could be severe vitamin deficiency. I would try Vit E, A and multi B vitamin right away. Is it eating? A good mashed up hard boiled egg might provide missing vitamins. Or if you have some Rooster Booster Poultry Cell, I would give a 1/4 to 1/2 ml by mouth once a day for a few days or the Nutri Drench. This is just what I would try. I'm not a vet, however.

6. cmccullough1390

Thank you she is isolated and no she is not vaccinated I am giving her a multivitamin and chick boost. Her crop is full but i haven't seen her eat or drink since last night. Right now it seems she has no coordination in her legs and flails when handled but she drinks fine and takes poly vi sol very well

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  7. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    You might remove her food and water at night and then first thing in morning see if her crop went down, and then give her food and water back. If her crop isn't moving, something is wrong beside her legs.

8. cmccullough1390

Will do she isn't eating anyway I'm just trying to keep her hydrated till things move along

9. cmccullough1390

So far all the same she seems to be calming down but can't keep balance or coordinate her neck still giving antibiotic and vitamin. Gonna let her crop empty before trying to feed

10. cmccullough1390

She's doing a little better she's still not able to get around but she is now eating eggs and I caught her eating chick start on her own. She still needs a little help with drinking and I'm giving vitamins for a boost with the antibiotic she's much more restful and alert rather than out of it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by