1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chocolate Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gogo10131, May 28, 2010.

1. gogo10131

gogo10131 In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm interested in purchasing some orpingtons and I came across the color chocolate when i was surfing the web. Are those a common color here in the US and if so where can i get some. The chocolate orpingtons look great.

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    sorry, we are keeping them all to ourselves for a while longer. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    sorry the sexed link colour of choc. orps does not exsitis in NA. Nor does the Sexed link choc. gene

4. Heather08

Heather08 Songster

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    Quote:Yes it does exsitis, just not in orpingtons, yet. It had been seen in Orps in years past, but they were culled, im sure there are some lines still out there that carry it, but pretty remote if ever found. Im pretty sure it will be spread around in various breeds over the next few years via the one breed that has the color in NA.

5. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Yes it does exsitis, just not in orpingtons, yet. It had been seen in Orps in years past, but they were culled, im sure there are some lines still out there that carry it, but pretty remote if ever found. Im pretty sure it will be spread around in various breeds over the next few years via the one breed that has the color in NA.

no, we have dun choc, in NA we do not have the sexed link choc, gene over here. GB- and Europe are the only place the sexed link choc. We have Dun choc, witch breeds dun,black,and kahiki (Sp??) breeds like the blue andllsion (sp?) gene, as in 25%,50%25%

6. Heather08

Heather08 Songster

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    There is sex linked chocolate in Seramas in NA.

I am familiar with Dun, i know how it breeds and what breeds use it, the OE's are the biggest group that mislabel Dun and chocolate, however seramas have sex linked chocolate. Trust me, every chocolate serama has a bounty on its head for many many different varietys of chickens. I know of several breed projects going on and a serama breeder has had 100s of emails for requests of chocolate seramas, problem with seramas is often there are a dozen other patterns mixed with the chocolate and not to mention type is soooo very different then most other varietys, its going to take YEARS to spread the gene and elimnate other patterns and bring type back of the orgional species.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Agree with Heather08; they were imported from the Netherlands. I am pretty sure choc is also found in Australia and New Zealand.

8. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Sercily, there are choc,sereams in NA. I new they exsited... Still have a long way to reach canada tho [​IMG]

9. BamaChick76

BamaChick76 In the Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Don't know if this is what you guys are talking about or not , but I crossed my Buff Orp Roo with my black Orp Hen and my baby was a very pretty dark choc color.

10. gogo10131

gogo10131 In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Will surfing the web I came across this article that might help

The Chocolate Orpington is a relatively new colour of Orpington and currently to my knowledge only exists in bantam size although I'm sure it won't be long before they are crossed into large fowl. The choc gene responsible for the chocolate colour was discovered by the late Dr. Clive Carefoot around 1993-1994. It is a rare Sex-Linked Recessive gene that is basically a dilution of black pigment. This means that out of a pair of genes, the female will be chocolate with just one copy of the gene but the male requires two copies of the choc gene to look chocolate. This also means that black males can look black, but be carrying the chocolate gene. Chocolate Orpingtons are slow to feather up. This is thought to be a direct result of the choc gene. Black Orpingtons are slow at feathering up but Chocolate Orps are even slower. They lay a slightly tinted egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: