Chocolate Orpingtons - how far have we come on this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by alicefelldown, Dec 2, 2009.

1. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Every once in awhile a thread pops up on here with mentions of breeding projects to get a true Chocolate Orpington variety going - wondering how far anyone in the USA has come...

Pictures obviously requested - who doesn't want a giant ball of chocolate feathers??

2. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    im in the process of importing some now [​IMG]

3. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    How difficult is it to import the birds?

4. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    its really hard, and really expensive. theres alot of fees and paperwork i have to get plus theres a 30 day quaranteen that they told me would be about 100-200$ a bird, then a vet has to fly in from out of state and check them all out, but first ive got to fly over to wales whenever the guy emails me and lets me know hes got some available.. ill be paying export taxes and fees from the native country, and import fees and taxes here in the u.s its going to be alot of work for me and take quite awhile but i really want them and its what i want right now more than anything lol

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Annnd then you are definitely going to sell us some hatching eggs once the birds are settled, yes? [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Be expected to pay high prices on those eggs!

Any good breeder will do is to keep the eggs themselves until they get enough for a big stock of chicks to raise. It will require alot of chicks to raise to get enough good quality standards and cull out the majority that does not fit the breeder's needs or something inferior wrong or some unknown losses or predator losses. That is why some of us go thru a couple of years, raising and culling before they ever sell to the public. Unless the breeder is very generous, they would share to very serious Orpington breeders.

7. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Raiderbabe - put me at the top of your list when you start selling chicks!!!! I have been dreaming of chocolate orps for years now! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  8. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I am sure we ALL will be checkin in to see pics of those Chocs as soon as you get them. Can't wait!

9. raiderbabe239

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    Quote:exactlyy [​IMG] all theyve got right now is bantam chocolates so im going to breed the bantams i get until i get the bantams perfected then work on introducing standards into the line, itll take awhile though, then im going to sell pairs to serious orp breeders so we can start working on getting them a recognized color here lol.

also as a side not ill probably be getting some chocolate wyandottes from the same guy and bringing them over around the same time [​IMG]

10. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:exactlyy [​IMG] all theyve got right now is bantam chocolates so im going to breed the bantams i get until i get the bantams perfected then work on introducing standards into the line, itll take awhile though, then im going to sell pairs to serious orp breeders so we can start working on getting them a recognized color here lol.

also as a side not ill probably be getting some chocolate wyandottes from the same guy and bringing them over around the same time [​IMG]

got any pictures of either of them??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by