1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate peanut butter bread...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by debilorrah, Nov 9, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Requested by a member:

First the Amish starter:

‎1 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup milk
    Combine the above ingredients in a large container - 1 sq canning jar with lid, bowl with air tight lid or gallon size ziplock bag. Do not refrigerate. Do not use meta...l utensiles to stir the starter. "Sti...r" starter in bag by sqeezing the bag. Be sure to let air out of the bag as it accumulates. Stir your newly made starter daily for about one eweek until it begins to ferment. Then follow the routine below.

It is normal for the batter to thinken, bubble, and ferment.
    Day 1 One cup of flour, one cup of sugar, one cup of milk - mix well, then place it in a zip lock bag. Squeeze out the air and seal.
    Day 2 - squeeze the bag to mix
    Day 3 squeeze the bag
    Day 4 squeeze the bag
    Day 5 squeeze the bag
    Day 6 add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk
    Day 7 squeeze the bag
    Day 8 squeeze the bag
    Day 9 squeeze the bag
    At this point you can add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup of milk. Mix well then divide into one cup servings to give starter mix to friends, keeping 2 cups for yourself.

Take one cup of starter mix and add:
    1/2 cup oil
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups flour
    1 1/2 tespoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 large box chocolate pudding mix
    1 cup milk
    12 oz peanut butter chips
    1 tablespoon cocoa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or 325 degrees if pudding is used). Spray with Pam and flour. Prepare pans. You may use two loaf pans. Combine all ingredients in bowl. Beating the eggs and oil separately with fork or whisk before adding to batter to make mixing easier. (I use my kitchen aid and just add all the ingredients at one time except the chocolate chips which I add last and hand stir.) Pour into prepared pans and bake loaves for 1 hour.

There are many variations and my family's favorite is the almond bread.See More

2. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I make a lot of Amish Friendship Bread variations too. I'd like to try the almond one...do you have the recipe?

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    It's my all time favorite candy in a sweet bread!!!!!!![​IMG]

4. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    OK, I am the first to admit I am not a 'cook' by any means. This does sound great, but the 'starter' thing has me a little scared. What does it smell like after a few days????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by