Chocolate Wyandotte Bantams - Help!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyOrpington, Aug 20, 2013.

1. LadyOrpington

LadyOrpington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    So 3 days ago i bought 6 Chocolate wyandotte bantams! I bought them cos i liked the look of them [​IMG] i don't show or anything like that, i just luuurve chocolate coloured birds.

So anyway, after a bit of research (as you do!) I started to think maybe i DON'T have chocolate wyandotte bantams, as they do not look much like what you'd find on google images!

I'll post a couple of pics, I only have pics of the cockerel and 1 of the hens, let me know what you think! Could they be crosses?

Hannah

Hen

[​IMG]

cock
    [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but chocolate is a project color in this breed. With that being said, they could be a pair that is not as far along in the project as others. Plus the color on the rooster is faded, the few darker feathers you see on him are his new feathers. I imagine once he molts, he will look more like the color of the hen.

3. LadyOrpington

Aug 20, 2013
    Oh! I didn't even consider a molt!

I hope he does go more chocolate coloured, i really love them!

Thanks for your help [​IMG]

xo

4. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    X2.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

6. LadyOrpington

Aug 20, 2013
    Ive managed to get a clearer picture of Butch the cockerel.

Are opinions still the same about the molt? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

xo

7. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    No, that is not a result of a molt.

8. TShelton54

TShelton54 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Dickson Tn.
    Where are you located? Which gene do you have for Chocolate Wyandottes? The Dun gene is the one most Chocolate Wyandotte bantams carries in the United States, although there are starting to be some with Sex-linked recessive Chocolate. The hen looks like she is Chocolate from what I can see in the picture. The male looks like he may be an attempt at someone trying to make Dun laced Gold. Cross him through Black females if you can get some to see if you can get some better males. Sandhill Preservation center has Chocolate Wyandotte bantams in their Wyandotte bantam assortment. Check them out for next year. I had a hen from them take Reserve Champion at our county fair over 300 birds, so they are good stock.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by