1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chocolate x Blue= Blue x Chocolate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CreamBruelle, Oct 11, 2016.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    I was on the duck color genetics chart and I put down chocolate as the color of my drake and blue as the color as my hen. I decided to switch it up and have the drake be blue and the hen be chocolate but the color results came out different. Would this be normal?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not anywhere close to a duck genetics expert, but looking at the calculator, “D” is a sex linked gene, called a Chocolate Dilution. The “Blue” gene is split on the blue bird but all it does is add to the confusion. That’s not what makes the offspring different depending on which one is the parent. That sex linked “D” gene is.

With a sex linked gene it’s very important which parent has the dominant gene. The male gives a copy of whatever sex linked gene he has to all his offspring, but a female just gives it to her sons. If the father has the recessive version and the mother has the dominant version and you can see the difference in the down, you get sex links. Even if you can’t see it in the down, they often look different when they finally feather out. If the father has the dominant gene then all offspring will have it regardless of what the mother has. In both cases the father has to be pure for that gene (both copies at that gene pair match) or it doesn’t work. This thread talks about sex links in chickens but the principle is the same for ducks.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

1 person likes this.
  3. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    No, the color results should not be the same if you change out the colors of male and female. Chocolate is a sex linked trait. If you use a chocolate drake and a blue female, you would have the possibility of producing both chocolate and lilac females. The males from this breeding would be blacks and blues.

If you reverse the parents to a blue male and a chocolate female, the results change. Female offspring have chance of being black or blue. Males will also be black or blue.

Hope this helps. Good luck & enjoy your ducks.

PINOAK RIDGE
    Call ducks in: Apricot Silver, Aztec Blue, Black, Blue, Blue Fawn, Buff, Butterscotch, Chocolate, Grey, Khaki, Pastel, Snowy, Silver & White.
    Black East Indies, Miniature Silver Appleyards, Mallards and Silver Mallards.

Silkies: Black, Blue, Buff, Grey, Partridge & White
    Bantam Cochins & Frizzles: Black, Blue, Silver, Mottled-Black & Blue, Millie Fluer (Calico) and White.

4. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    Thanks so much!! This helps a lot in my future plans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by