Choice of breed for eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tulie13, Jan 20, 2010.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I wasn't sure whether to post this here or the "Breeds" board, but this is mostly related to egglaying. I have BO and EE right now, was looking at expanding my flock. I have looked into GLW and Partridge Rocks (like the coloring, and they SHOULD lay like a BR, I think...). Any thoughts on the egg-laying capabilities/nature of these two breeds? Anyone have them, like/dislike, regret getting them, disappointed in one way or another? I've seen a post about GLW taking their sweet time about starting to lay, but wanted to get more consensus/feedback.

Should I add GLW and/or Partridge Rocks to my flock? I have the BO hens and EE hens, and one roo of each type. But I'm not intending (at least not right now) to get any roos of either of these two new breeds.

THANKS!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've never had a GLW but my PRs were good layers... 5-6 per week.

If you want eggs. BLACK SEX LINK.

3. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree! They are egg-laying machines. Since they have started, only one of my 3 have missed a day. They lay flawless brown eggs, much prettier than anything you find in the store. [​IMG]

4. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I wanted to avoid the sex-links, as they don't "breed true". I was trying to stay with pure breed "dual purpose" birds for long-term sustainability. I know RIR are GREAT layers, but I hear they "burn out" after a couple of years, more so than other less egg-machine-type layers. I intend to keep my birds, not replace the layers after every 2-3 years with new ones.

Does that make a difference on recommendations?

5. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    my leghorn keeps up/out dos my redsexlinks and sometimes lays double yolk eggs has not missed a day and the eggs are the same quality as my redsexlinks she may slow down soon we got her on easter last yr so she is aproaching the 1yr mark where i hear egg production starts to drop

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I have 3 GLW's....they are 9.5 months old now and I usually get 2 eggs a day from the 3 girls...they matured at different pace, I got first eggs at 24 weeks, next girl at 28 weeks, last GLW at 30 weeks. My one and only EE waited until over 9 months of age to lay, just started laying 6 days ago...My one BR laid at 5 months, that was 4 days ago. Coop is not heated except one heatlamp, red over the water/feeder when the temps are in the teens during the day. I usually don't keep the red lamp on at night with a few exceptions when nights dropped to close to 0 or below. I added approx 1 hour extra light (just for about 4 weeks) early December until early January. Fist chickens, first winter.... [​IMG]

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My Sexlinks and RIR are egg laying machines. They are 2 years old and still giving eggs every day.

With good feed, a Sexlink is a pretty good size "dual-purpose" bird. My Black sexies and RIR's are all about 8 pounds each. My red sexies are about 5

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have red sex links, aka golden comets. They are machines. I have no idea if they burn out so to speak, but they were a late summer hatch and I have no artificial lighting in my coop, so i didnt expect them to start laying till the spring. Then I found over 40 frozen eggs in my flower bed. They were 16-17 weeks old when I found the eggs. And there were only 3 hens to lay them.

So the thrill of the first egg was bittersweet as we had to toss them all to the compost pile, but I knew they "worked!"

I get eggs daily from them still, in the middle of winter with short daylight hours and all. From 3 hens I get 3-5 eggs per day, so occasionally I get a hen that lays more than one egg per day. They all use the only nest box in there, so I know I didnt miss an egg the day before. They are not broody, they are fairly docile, not *too* skittish or territorial. They tend to pick on the 2 bantams I have, and I had to have a showdown with the RSL roo I also have to put him in his place-i won, we have reached an understanding about that. but the hens are egg machines and quite easy to care for.

9. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I've also been following your thread on coop size so with smaller accomodations than you would prefer I would stick with a smaller hen. And I would still go with a sexlink, perhaps an ISA brown, Hyline, red star, golden comet...if you want to breed your own true then you would only need to keep a few Rhode Island Whites in your flock (also an excellent egglayer) and buy a small incubator so you don't lose egg laying to a hen being broody to hatch those eggs. And you would need a RIR rooster if you want your own sexlink eggs.

If you are truly wanting egg productivity as your mission then keeping them for a lifetime is not feasible. You have limited space so keeping a freeloader is not in your best interest. Eventually you would be getting 3-4 eggs per day from a flock of 15, if that.

I generally hatch in the Spring, re-home any hens that have gone thru their 2nd summer when the newbies start laying in Aug/Sept. So for the winter you have the chicks hatched in the Spring that are just starting to lay and the hens that are making their second winter with you. So you really only need 2 hatch batches each year, about 12 chicks to keep you going (50% of the eggs will statistically be roos that you will probably re-home). So your flock of 15 would look like this...1 rooster (RIR?), 2 RIR-W hens for making sexlink chicks (and great egglayers the rest of the year), and 12 sexlink pullets. You should get 9-14 eggs per day, depending.

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Leghorns, Barred Rocks. They are good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by