1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Choice of wire flooring for Coturnix Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by laughingull, Jul 25, 2011.

1. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Hi all, been searching through the posts on Coturnix housing. Currently mine are on dirt but I want to change that- lift my coop and expose its wire floor. The floor is made of 1/2" hardware cloth (not coated). Is that OK for their feet or do I need to replace the floor and if so with what? Much thanks.

2. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    That is what my quail are on. Plus I have a sandbox and twigs/branches in their cage as well.

3. 1/2'' Hardware cloth is best. You may want to do as many also do and put a sandbox and some other small flat surfaces if you are duly concerned about their feet. However the cloth will be alright. TIME TESTED AND TRUE.

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    very true, i made my coop with 1/4'' hardware cloth....the poo get stuck to it alot, i gotta get a grill brush and scrape it off once a month.

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:So true. The 1/4" is good for about the first 2 weeks of age, then it becomes a poo-poo mat. I'm putting my Bobs on 1/2" wire at 7 days at the latest.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    1/2 Inch Hardware Cloth Is Hard To Beat

7. lebedkat

lebedkat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    So one week old cheeks are OK to be moved to 1/2" wire???

8. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Thank you so much to all! Wow this makes my job a bit easier- just have to get the dirt out [​IMG] Your advice is much much appreciated!!!!!!!

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally I think at least part of their flooring should be solid (wood, cardboard, etc), but I guess that's a matter of opinion more than anything. I wouldn't like to be on wire all the time and mine surely do spend most of their time on the solid parts.

I use mostly 1" x 1/2" wire on my cage floors and didn't see any difference.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i run a 1/3 wood floor and 2/3 1/4'' cloth floor(i should have put 1/2"). they love spending time in the wooded part, thats where they lay, the sandbox is, and the toys for them are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by