choice of wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by betchern0t, Feb 4, 2015.

1. betchern0t

betchern0t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    hi,
    I am located in Canberra Australia. The backyard is surrounded by 1.5m or 5ft high wooden fences on three sides and the house on the other. Known predators are dogs, foxes and cats - domestic and feral. For those who don't know we have a problem here with domestic cats going wild (feral) and they can be a bit bigger than your standard moggie. No dingos, tasmanian devils or other marsupial carnivores as far as I am aware. We don't have US exotic predators such as skunks, mink, racoons, bears, big cats etc.

I have never heard of hardware cloth and can probably not source it in Australia. We have hexagonal chook wire which looks fairly light weight. or square avian netting for twice the price about 12mm or 1/2 inch square holes. I expect it is welded since there doesn't appear to be any connections.

What do you suggest to cover the run and the open portions of the coop?

Cheers Paul

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Sounds like your square avian netting IS hardware cloth, lol... definitely use it and not the hex stuff as skunks, mink and racoons can rip that open like a paper bag...

This is hardware cloth, just for comparison...

3. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Oops, guess it won't let me upload a pic, sorry... Anyway, it does sound the same... 1/2" squares of welded wire, sturdy and harder to bend than the other stuff... go with it if you want it predator proof... good luck! :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. betchern0t

betchern0t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2015
    sorry I am safe from the skunks and racoons. Have a big moat around the extended yard called the pacific that tends to discourage them from entering Australia;)

Cheers Paul

1 person likes this.
  5. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Oops, misread that part, sorry... well, dogs and foxes can get through the hex poultry wire too... it just depends on how secure you want them... yeah, that stuff is expensive, so just weigh your risks and budget... hope it all works out and good luck! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by