choices

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowlsessed, Nov 20, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I want some ducks, but only if there is a breed that will stay around and forage for its food. Also do they need a pond or similar. Will a kidy pool work. Any answers are welcome. thanks

2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Kiddi pool will work fine. Technicaly they don't need any swiming water, just a water dish deep enough to dip their whole head in so the can clean themselves.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I use a 40gal stock tank but a concrete mixing bin works fine too. Muscovies are great foragers. The females and young males can fly but generally won't leave once they see your place as home. Clipping the wings once is usually enough when you buy grown birds and would probably be completely necessary if you get ducklings and they grow up on your property.

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I do like muscovies. What about welsh harlequins?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well , I'm partial to Muscovies. I have 4 and they are sweet, they forage well, and they are VERY quiet. I picked them because they're quiet (we're not supposed to have farm animals) and because they are the best way to combat flies.

6. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:OH. I want some SOOOOOO bad. I have heard that they are realy good layers, and you can sex them when they are born by the color of their beak. How cool is that. They are definatly on my chrismas wish list.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have a quad of welsh harlequins, they are awesome birds! Mine should be laying by spring. And im very excited. Love this breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by