Choke collar stupidness

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cknldy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Remember those shows on animal planet like animal cops houston, etc? One in particular comes to mind. Animal control went to a woman's home about an embedded collar. Owner had cut off the collar and cleaned the wound herself. Dog was happy dog, playing like nothing happened. Wound was healing. Animal control said it takes months for a choke collar to become embedded. SO NOT TRUE!!! Owner was very adamant that it had only been on about a week. I was yelling at the tv, agreeing with animal control. And then it happened to my dog. I got chickens and passed the care of our dogs to my older but not teens kids. About once a week or when it was too cold for the kids I did all of the dog chores myself. On dec. 15 we took pics with one of our dogs. On dec 21 I bought a cheap choke collar for her because she had broken her last collar going after a rabbit. We have to keep our dogs chained up to keep neighbors from shooting them. I have rescued animals, nursed animals back to health and worked at bet clinics as a young adult. This is all my stupidity. My husband walked around to all the animals yesterday and discovered the choke chain was embedded! I was flabbergasted! No way, I just put that on her on the 21st, 2 finger rule and everything. She had gotten off her chain on the 23rd when the screw clasp connecting the collar to the chain came undone. I was so involved with my chickens that I didn't go behind my kids and check the dogs from the 23rd until the discovery yesterday. It is no one's fault but my own and ashamed CAN NOT describe how I feel about this happening to one of MY animals. Collar was not totally embedded but that doesn't make it right- I of all people know u are not supposed to keep a choke collar on a dog! She is so friendly and happy and doesn't judge. That's what makes it worse. The collar was removed- she didn't even flinch- the wound was cleaned with peroxide and antibiotic salve applied as well as antibiotics given. Today it is scabbed and healing. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOUR PET! I have decided to find good homes for ALL of my animals. This should never have happened under my watch and I feel that I have let all of my animals down. They deserve better.

2. naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    I'm sorry that happened to you. How bad the embeded collar is depends on how long it has been on. Most of the time, people put them on puppies and never change them out as the pup grows. In that case, for those really bad ones, yes it can take months to get to that point. The point where it takes surgery to remove, not a mild case where you could take care of it at home.

Yes, you were wrong to put it all on your kids and not double check. And, why if you tie your dog all the time (which I don't agree with) would you use a chain collar? That in itself is neglectful, IMO.

At least you did catch it in time, and take full responsibility. I applaud you for that part. Most out there who that happens to never take responsibility for it.

3. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    My parents keep our dog, Miska, tied up all the time. She lives on a tie-out, but we give 2-3 hours of exercise a day, and feed her a healthy diet. She has a large, spacious area, and a warm doghouse, too. Do you think this makes up for her wearing a tie-out? [​IMG]

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I had a neighbor who had to tie-out his husky, even when it was in its kennel. Darn thing was an escape artist. I don't believe it was abuse or neglect, and neither did most of the neighbors. He spent alot of time with that dog, loved him like crazy ans spoiled it rotten. It was a happy, well mannered dog that needed to be tied-up to make it stay at home when on-one was there to watch it.
    We had one neighbor that "didn't believe" in tieing out a dog. Called animal control all the time about the "neighbor that was abusing his dog" by leaving him tied in the backyard all the time. Animal Control got to the point of threatening to ticket her for nuisance calls if she continued to harrass the neighbor by calling.

So, just because you have to tie out your dog it is not necessary a bad thing.

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Are choke collars just a bad collar, or are they just misused? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

IMO...they are just misused. But I haven't ever had a dog need a choke collar and the one's we had growing up who did need one, a choke collar was not the solution so maybe they are obselete...who is to say really what is right or wrong?

ETA: In my opinion the "Golden Rule" is about the only way tho figure out right or wrong....however, it gets grey because to some people animals left outside but with shelter are being abused as they should all be indoors, while to me keeping them cooped up in the house is less than ideal. Basically as humans we have full control over and animals well being and should consider what we ourselves would want out of life....

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  7. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    All our dogs have long chains for lots of room. They all have dog houses with lots of shavings for warmth. The nylon collars stretch out or come unlatched if one of the dogs pulls the slightest bit like when a deer passes in the woods. We never had a problem with chain collars until this point. My lapse in responsibility did cause this because I didn't specifically tell the kids to check collars when they feed/water. Puppies are cute and lovable. Then children get older and don't care to spend time with them- it happens every day. When I do the dog care I play with them, brush them etc. I can't lay blame on the kids but i do feel that they should have noticed before hubby did since he hardly ever goes around them. Same story, different family: everyone brings home animals but lose interest then they all belong to mom. We were in the process of finding her a new home already. Ashamed doesn't begin to describe how I feel. If I can't do it all then I shouldn't have them. It will make my hubby happy to see my chickens go.

8. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I believe that they are a good training tool when used properly. As far as I know (which may not be all that much) they are only really used to teach 'heel' or to walk on a lead properly. They should not be used to tie a dog out because they will not release the pressure unless the dangling end is pointing up towards the handler. They won't actually choke the dog but they will hang there very snugly. There is a type of collar called a martingale (sp?) that is sort of a cross between a choke and a regular buckle collar. They are leather or nylon with a loop of chain at the back. They will only tighten when the dogs pulls and then release as soon as the dog stops pulling. I use one for my lab who likes to back out of her lead when on a walk. The instant she pulls, it tightens up - but will only tighten to a certain point. That way, she can't get loose, but also can't be harmed.
    [​IMG]

9. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I think that getting rid of all of your animals is maybe just a bit rash. You made a mistake. It happens and it's how most of us have learned to be good, responsible owners.

10. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    I have choke collars on my 3 dogs all the time..they are never tied up . I dont have fences and they are alowed to roam the property as they please..they are not outside dogs tho. Iv never had a problem with a coke collar and i like them better than fabric or leather ones because they dont rub hair off thedogs neck.. I keep them very loose tho..they can slip them off very easyly if they wanted too.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by