1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Choke free dog harness - can't find a good one...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thebritt, Sep 27, 2010.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Hi all. Our rescue Pom (in my avitar) has an extremely sensitive callapsable trachea [​IMG] and I've been having a hard time finding a harness that won't cause him to cough and gag. We had one called a "HOLT" made out of nylon cord, and it worked great until I lost it on a walk (I was carrying it under my arm in an off-leash area and it is no longer with us [​IMG] ). I haven't been able to find another like it - the place I got it from no longer carries them, and I can't find them online. Everything I've seen online looks like everything else we've tried. We tried the nylon mesh type, and a step-in that may have just been too small, but the others I've seen are around $45! He has a tiny snout and I know he can't handle a "Gentle Leader".

edit: I had been searching "HALT", not "HOLT", and I did find them online, but I'm still open to any suggestions!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    I don't understand why he couldn't do a gentle leader. When you get a harness you are just making it more comfortable for them to try and pull you around. A good training class. a gentle leader and persistence should work well. Poms aren't stupid dogs stubborn but not stupid. He should be able to get the point quickly.

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Why not get a sled dog harness specially made in miniature? They don't have any straps on the neck at all.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    The snoot loop has adjustable cheek straps and makes a special size for dogs with very short snouts. They can even fit them to pugs. http://www.snootloop.com/page3.html

Otherwise I use working dog harnesses designed to allow the dog to pull weight without harm to itself. http://nordkyn.com/models.htm My akita has a skijoring harness and our shiba has the adjustable tracking harness. I have not been happy with any type of harness typically found in pet stores or feed stores. Many are cheaply made and nearly all of them aren't really that comfortable for the dog while costing a fair amount. You can get working dog harnesses that will out last your dog for $20 and many of those places will custom size them for no extra charge to fit a smaller breed than they usually cater toward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by