Choking duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenFox, Mar 3, 2014.

1. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I just brought my babies home day before yesterday and now one of them is acting like he's choking maybe? Keeps tucking its head real quick and stretching back out. He keeps trying to drink lots of water but after a few seconds he starts to spit up kind of like a baby. Not alot but enough to worry me. He'd just been devouring food and now everytime he goes to get a bite he stops does the neck tuck stretch thing then goes back to the water. He's still chirping but I'm very worried. :(

2. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Do you feel any lumps along his neck or crop area like there may be a clump of food or something stuck?

3. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I tried to gently feel along but he wasn't too thrilled with the idea. Spit up water on me. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary though...Maybe he just drank too much water too fast? I did just give them fresh water and they drank like crazy before starting on the food.

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Are you only feeding crumbles, mash or pellets? If you are giving them any other types of food, are you providing them with grit?

5. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Slightly moistened Dumor chick grower/starter crumbles. I'm getting really worried now because he's not acting right. Not running around or as active as usual.

6. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    he keeps opening his bill now...I'm going to see if he'll let me look inside...

7. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    Looks fine inside but couldnt see down the throat bc of the tongue...poor baby. guess I'll just keep a close eye on him....

8. subhanalah

How often do you change out the wet feed? It spoils very quickly when wet. I'm not saying this is the problem, but at least something to be aware of.

9. ChickenFox

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I change it every few hours. The longest it goes is while I'm at work and that's about 8 hours. He kept falling asleep in my hand so I put him back with his buddy. Haven't seen him throw up anymore but he's back to drinking water and eating some food. He let out a huge healthy poo when I put him back too so he's not blocked on that end...

10. subhanalah

Hopefully he just drank too much. I would avoid the moistened mash while you are away at work. Anything over 4 hours has potential to culture mold and bacteria. They will wet it themselves as long as they have an adequate waterer (which they should have even with the moistened mash.)
    Keep us updated on how it does!
    Maybe someone else will have more insight to this matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by