Choking to death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WildBillHicks, Jan 21, 2012.

1. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    My step father had two bantam hens. He found one of them dead the other morning. He said the day before she was making a choking gesture but then she would eat and drink so he thought nothing of it. The next day she's dead. He didn't take her to a vet or anything, he just assumed she choked to death. Is that possible if she was able to still eat and drink? I'm confused.

Thanks

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Choking? The only thing that pops into mind is Gape worms. Oh and possibly an impacted crop but usually with that the bird will refuse to eat. Mystery.

3. WildBillHicks

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    Yeah choking didn't sound plausible to me.

4. I was watching a youtube video the other day about a duck that had a flap-like growth form over the trachea. It looked like the duck was choking but when the flap would dislodge it was ok for a bit. Maybe something similar happened. Here's the link in case you'd like to pass it along:

5. WildBillHicks

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    saw some vids on youtube of gapeworms. i will show them to my step dad to see if that's what she was doing. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by