1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Choking? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by callieisspooky, Aug 27, 2013.

1. callieisspooky

callieisspooky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    I have a nearly full grown turkey, a favorite pet of my daughters, who just ate some cherries and now looks miserable. She's standing still, puffed up and neck retracted, head drooped. Husband and I think she may have swallowed a cherry pit which is stuck either in her esophagus or trachea. Is there anything we can do? I will never feed cherries to the chickens or turkeys again. :(

2. Mathew544

Mathew544 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    So sorry to hear this. I'm not sure what you could do besides contacting an emergency vet. I have read of people carefully pouring some water down a chickens throat and then tilting them upside down to empty the crop. I'm not sure if this will help or not.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    See if massaging her crop will help. Dribble water with a spoon on the side of her beak. Most will take it down that way safely. I would not know how to check for a blockage in her esophagus or past the crop.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Try dripping some olive oil or just plain water on her beak, or dip her beak into the water/oil. This will usually cause birds to swallow. Then, massage her crop gently. Other than that, I don't think that there is much you can do, besides let her rest.

5. callieisspooky

callieisspooky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Thanks everyone. It seems to have passed. I went to get oil and water, and when I went to her she was acting normally again. Hopefully swallowing the pit won't cause any future problems!

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that the one pit will cause any problems. However, keep in mind that cherry pits are poisonous to birds (or at least that is what I've read), so if you feed your flock cherries again, I'd pit them first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by