1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cholate Splash Marans???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by brandyk81, May 2, 2011.

1. brandyk81

brandyk81 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Chapin, SC
    [​IMG]

I got this little beauty (hopefully a pullet...I was told it was a pullet) over the weekend. I was also told it was a Chocolate Splash Marans. I'm new to the chicken business and just want beauties to lay me eggs. I came home and looked up what this little lady would look like when she grew up to find that there is no such thing as a Chocolate Splash Marans (or at least that's not what its called). Does anyone have any idea what this little chick is or what it will look like when she grows up? The parents are a splash roo over a black copper hen. And if anyone can reassure me of the gender, that would be great too. Thanks for looking!

2. miraclz5

miraclz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I am pretty new....just a few months to the world of chicken ownership....so I have absolutely no idea what color but for your sake I hope and pray it is a pullet! Absolutely STUNNING!!!!! Good luck!!!

3. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I am too new to really help you here, but I have been getting some marans because of the beautiful chocolate colored eggs they have. I may not be saying this right so anyone can feel free to correct me, but one of the maran breeders I bought from is trying to create the golden salmon maran, he had one "splash" in his breeder box that he didn't want of the golden salmon type, so I snatched it up and it looks like yours. My understanding of the Splash is that it doesn't meet the requirements they are looking for, but I could be wrong there. Here is a link to see what they look like and if you scroll down you will find some Golden Salmons.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

4. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If that chick were really from a splash roo, he would be some shade of blue/gray. It looks like a black copper marans that's missing some genes to give it the correct black color.

5. brandyk81

Jun 1, 2009
    Chapin, SC
    Quote:Ahhh, ok, thanks. Do you have any pictures of your baby as she is growing for me to compare?

6. brandyk81

Jun 1, 2009
    Chapin, SC
    Quote:And yeah, everything I had read said a splash roo over a black copper would make blue...and there is no blue in this baby at all. so missing genes or hidden genes or something, huh? Ah well. Hopefully SHE will produce me some beautiful chocolate eggs and it won't really matter. I don't plan to breed any of my chickens at this stage of the game, so she will only be around for eating eggs. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by