Chomped tails (pics are a bit bloody)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky Mama, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Hi to all,and Help!! My poor birds are losing tails,they look chewed on.I don't know what's doing this is it a rodent,another bird or what. I thought it was 2 Rhody x's cuz they had a taste forsure, but they're gone now and it's happened twice since they left! First it was my 2 GL Polish (in 1 pic)cockrels,then a MF D'uccle and on Sunday my lil' Favrolle girl got it(2&3pic is her).Our pen is pertty darn secure but,I know rodents can fit thru anywhere.
    It seems to happen to the black and gold colors.It's also happened about 4 times in the last 5 weeks,what is it?I'm tired of my poor birdies getting hurt,can or why do they do this to eachother and why. I also think it happens at nite or early morning. Please help cuz I'm stumped.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Spray the affected area with blue kote. Place them back in and watch all birds closely. If nothing happens, check later to see who has blue beaks. This will tell you who is doing the picking. But typically they'll go for the rump whether you're watching or not, if you've got a picker.

Picking happens for a variety of reasons. Most commonly, too crowded, insufficient nutrition (try adding black oil sunflower seeds to their grain diet and remove nonessential snacks), boredom and sometimes someone just gets an injury or broken feather and it's enough to start the behavior. Best wishes figuring it out.

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I had a problem with some sebrights picking at my turkeys. But I'm sure what got it started was when they started growing new tail feathers and they had the short little blood feathers is when the picking started. Once the bleeding started, I had to separate them.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I was going to post something along these lines too! Last night I found 4 of my roos with nothing left of their tails but stumps! Nugget, Tux, Tank, and Little Foot have all their tails picked out. I'll do the blue-kote and watch for a tell-tale beak!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Was it a sudden loss? All of their feathers gone sounds like something tried to get them.

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:Was it a sudden loss? All of their feathers gone sounds like something tried to get them.

I hadn't noticed anything before last night, but it could have been happening slowly I guess. Mine aren't bloody like the OPs, just look like they were chewed off down to about an inch but a few are actually gone.

7. Nif

Nif Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Ohio
    What I am learning about feather picking and cannibalism

Check out this thread as it goes into great detail about feather picking...hope it is helpful. (the thread was started by basicliving, it's on page 4)​

8. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto to the blu-kote , I had 2 what rock pullets about 8 weeks old that the others starting pecking at to bloody nubs.. at first I tried diaper cream being white and all , it worked but had to re apply.. so I went and got blu kote.. the birds may try it once or twice but do NOT like the taste .. however it takes forever to grow out..
    Quote:

9. kassy68

kassy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Vassar , Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto to the blu-kote , I had 2 what rock pullets about 8 weeks old that the others starting pecking at to bloody nubs.. at first I tried diaper cream being white and all , it worked but had to re apply.. so I went and got blu kote.. the birds may try it once or twice but do NOT like the taste .. however it takes forever to grow out..
    Quote:

10. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Thanks for all the responses. I'd seen somewhere to spray them with iodine to stop picking but, I don't think it's doing any good.I've also since added sunflowerseeds but they're still eating the downy feathers and are on layer pellet at 18% protein.I know they're a bit crowded,I'm trying to decide which boys to keep.I think it's a BLR Wyandotte roo the doing the most,and that the Polish & Favrolles are on the lower end of the order. Stupid McMurray did'nt send my Favrolle roo like ordered to have a standard size guy,boys are all banty.It seems to happen over night,just suddenly tails are all gone and then everyone has a turn at them.I hate keeping them locked up for so long. Who knew chickens would be canibals.I also have a black & gold EE that ended up with a leg injury at the same time. So that's why I thought something came thru the wire and that she got hurt jumpping off the upper rack. When I try to bring her back out the wyandotte instantly starts pecking her leg.Now I wish I did'nt get them,pretty or not!
    I find it wierd how it's all the black & gold colored ones too.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by